What should I look for in a Generator?

NM-Eric

Hi there,

My wife and I just bought our first RV, an 2011 MPG 183. We are so excited to get started. We have been tent campers for a long time and we want to take our rig to lots of "primitive" campgrounds without hook-ups. So, I would like to purchase a quiet generator.

I've never been around generators before. Does anyone have a suggestion on a particular generator brand and size/capacity? I think the highest demand we would put on the generator is to have the A/C running, and possibly the TV. We are fine with having to turn off the A/C in order to use the Microwave or any other appliance. If it's a hot night, I could see us wanting maybe 1 or 2 lights on with the A/C running intermittently.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Eric

jimtoo

Hi NM-Eric,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

It is great that you have moved up from the tent... you will never go back. For a generator, I have heard nothing but good things about the Honda line. Probably what your looking for is a small 2000 or maybe even a 3000 watt unit... I know from experience from Gumbo cookoff's that we have made with friends that use one, you cannot hear the 2000 run 10 feet away, but not sure it would be enough for a/c starting and tv. I'm sure some others with more experience will come on and give their ideas soon.

So in the mean time,,, enjoy the forum and make lots of great memories camping in your new MPG.

Jim M

rebootsemi

Hi there,

My wife and I just bought our first RV, an 2011 MPG 183. We are so excited to get started. We have been tent campers for a long time and we want to take our rig to lots of "primitive" campgrounds without hook-ups. So, I would like to purchase a quiet generator.

I've never been around generators before. Does anyone have a suggestion on a particular generator brand and size/capacity? I think the highest demand we would put on the generator is to have the A/C running, and possibly the TV. We are fine with having to turn off the A/C in order to use the Microwave or any other appliance. If it's a hot night, I could see us wanting maybe 1 or 2 lights on with the A/C running intermittently.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Eric

Quite a difference from a tent. The honda EU3000i is about the best you could ask for and also very light they run around $2K, Dometic now has a 3000 watt unit for around $900 that is supposed to be a good unit. For that price you could buy a couple of them compared to the honda. Yamaha also makes a nice gen set, let your wallet be your guide.

GOTTOYS

Depends on where you camp. Some campgrounds have hours that you are allowed to run a genny. Mostly in A.M. and then later in the afternoon but not at night. If you are boondocking then you are pretty much on your own. You can buy a Champion brand 3500 watt for $300-400. They are a little noisier than the Honda, Yammie and some of the new invertor types but they have a good following and represent a good value. If you want to run your A/C you are going to need 3000 watts. Some claim that the 2000 watt Hondas and Yammies will run the A/C as well, but not always. I tried it with my Honda and it didn't have enough. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Some of the Park Service personnel do go around with a sound meter to check the noise output as well. I'm sure that is appreciated by many. Some of those construction type gennies get pretty loud and annoying...Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Quite a difference from a tent. The honda EU3000i is about the best you could ask for and also very light they run around $2K, Dometic now has a 3000 watt unit for around $900 that is supposed to be a good unit. For that price you could buy a couple of them compared to the honda. Yamaha also makes a nice gen set, let your wallet be your guide.
Here is the first link that came up for the DOMETIC genny. I hadn't heard of them till now. It seems like it would be a good choice. I have a Boliy and while I haven't needed use it for any length of time, it's been a reliable unit. Starts easily and is quiet. Here's a link for the BOLIY
I don't think the Dometic was available when I bought the Boliy

brianharrison

As mentioned the Honda line is a great generator; it is also very quiet. I have the EU3000iS, older model heavier at 134lbs dry (3000 Watts, inverter) - the power is very clean (good for electronics, computers) and it runs my AC easily.

If I had to do it again I would purchase two 2000 units and parallel cable them together to give 4000W. They are easier to move around at 46lbs each vs 134lbs for my 3000. That way I could only run one if I am just recharging batteries or running TV when I am dry camping.

I see honda has a new EU3000iHAN on wheels that is lighter at 78lbs but it has a smaller amperage output (21.7A), gas tank (run time is half of mine) and it is a bit louder (65 vs 58 dB).

Here is a link to the Honda line where you can compare them together --> http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2GG&category=sq

Take care,
Brian

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I saw at the grand opening of Cabellas here in North Texas that champion now has a 2000 inverter generator for $700. Cabellas rep was saying they field tested them for 18 months and were impressed. They do not have a 30amp plug and cannot be paralleled like the Hondas. We went with 2 Honda 2000s the 2000i model and the 2000i companion model. Use 2 when using the A/C (15K unit) and other stuff. Use only one if not using the A/C, this allows for using less gas. The Hondas are quiet and are very reliable. You can get both models of the Honda 2000 with the 12 volt chargeing cables, the 30 amp to 15 amp converter plug and the parallel kit for about $1900 on Amazon.com from Harbor sports and cycle in Benton Harbor, Michigan (no shipping or tax). They provided great service. Good luck with your choice.

Riverman

We had a Honda 2000 inverter with our last TT.
Worked great for everything except A/C...so long as you run one appliance at a time.
It just didnt have enough umph to get the AC cycling on warm days.
I had considered purchasing another & hooking them together, but unforunately that option is not approved nor installed on the Canadian models (lacks CSA approval). The 3000 Honda is quite a bit larger and heavier and likely requires 2 people to load into a pickup.
I do have a buddy who runs his AC with the Yamaha 2400, has just that enough extra to get the AC going - it's manageable, quiet and priced comparatively to the Honda
We now have a built in Cummins Onan 5500W - so no more concerns with supplied power, but the fuel consumption compared to the Honda is extreme!

wonka

You'll need to decide what you need from it first, what you plan to run off it and where. You might want to find the quietest model possible if you plan on staying in campgrounds, but if you are going to do some truly random camping this is not as big of concern. Weight is another major issue to contend with. We have three gen sets in the garage, we only use one. The biggest is a 5500 watt construction grade honda that we used for random camping, worked great to run 4 trailers off of, with A/C, but is way to heavy for one person to move around. Our second purchase was a cheapo light 2000 (not champion but close), wont run A/C, worked great first year, but always needed some kind of attention to keep it going (retired). We now run a Honda knock-off (Dancor) 2800 with remote start and stop. It will run the A/C on our TT, still to find out about with on our new BH. We love this unit, 60 #'s, and 62 decibels, plus the bonus of being able to start and stop it from my bed. As I get older I find that the weight thing is the most important, if we didn't have the gen set we do, I would look at twin 2000 Honda's.

pegmikef

Like several others here I have the Honda 2000 pair. They are quiet, run my 15K btu AC just fine, pretty economical on gas (3.5 - 4 hours per gallon each dependent on the load) and my main concern lightweight. They each weigh 47 pounds which I can easily lift into and out of my TV. I too paid about 1900 including the parallel kit and battery charging cable. I found them either at ebay or amazon.com, but it was a separate vendor through one of them.

NM-Eric

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback! I wanted to let you know that Pat and Lori got me started on this forum! They said "Jim knows a thing or two...at least he thinks he does". :)

Anyway, I appreciate the help. You guys have a very cool community here.

Eric

NM-Eric

Wow, thanks for all of the feedback everyone. This forum is incredible! A friend turned me on to it and I guess I'm hooked now!

More questions to follow... ;-)

plumberdude

Eric,
You will find the Heartland Group the best kind of friends to have. Everyone we have gotten to know in the last few years have always been helpful! We have alot of fun when we get together. Hopefully, you and the family will get to come to one of the rally's soon! Welcome to Heartland!

Pat and Lori

jpajax

Got this one it's light only 78lp 3300 Watt peak out put constance 3000 clean power for new tv's and lap top's runs and starts 1500 btu ac. has smart throttle and quiet. It's a Boyle, Yamaha motor, German electronics and manual or electric start cost less than Honda.:cool:

Attachments

• 0113111242.jpg
    0113111242.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 1212091335.jpg
    1212091335.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 38

BC1of38

Two words.....Remote Start. Mine has it and I will never go back. Watch TV at night, get sleepy, hit the button to shut it down. Wake up, hit the button to start it.

It is a far east Honda knock off, but it is quiet, 3500 watts, inverter power, all I need.

NM-Eric

I think I've settled on a pair of Honda EU2000i inverters with the parallel kit. I was surprised to find that I will not need the companion unit, just the parallel kit. I found them on rvpartscountry.com for $875 each and $175 for the parallel kit. No tax and free shipping. Not too shabby, right? Has anyone bought from them before? Always a little nervous about online purchases.

pegmikef

Now that I think about it, that I did buy mine online from Wana RV and Engine Center in Shipshewana, IN for about the same price. I just looked at the invoice and the total was 1958 including the parallel kit and battery charging cables. No shipping charges or tax. Another reason I went with the Hondas was the three year warranty. I seem to remember that they arrived about 4 days after I ordered them. I found them on line using google, requested a quote. They emailed me the quote (almost instantaneously) with a number to call. I called to confirm the price and then ordered them. No problems whatsoever. I've only got about 40 hours on them (it takes 20 to break them in for the first oil change). They are shipped dry so you MUST add the oil after you get them! I don't understand "I don't need the companion unit, just the parallel kit" because here's what I ordered/received:

EU2000IA Honda Generator
EU2000ICOMBO Honda Companion Generator
08E92-HPK2031 Cabl/RV Adpt Kit, EU2
32650-892-010AH 10' DC Charg Cord, EU

You might want to check on that.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Now that I think about it, that I did buy mine online from Wana RV and Engine Center in Shipshewana, IN for about the same price. I just looked at the invoice and the total was 1958 including the parallel kit and battery charging cables. No shipping charges or tax. Another reason I went with the Hondas was the three year warranty. I seem to remember that they arrived about 4 days after I ordered them. I found them on line using google, requested a quote. They emailed me the quote (almost instantaneously) with a number to call. I called to confirm the price and then ordered them. No problems whatsoever. I've only got about 40 hours on them (it takes 20 to break them in for the first oil change). They are shipped dry so you MUST add the oil after you get them! I don't understand "I don't need the companion unit, just the parallel kit" because here's what I ordered/received:

EU2000IA Honda Generator
EU2000ICOMBO Honda Companion Generator
08E92-HPK2031 Cabl/RV Adpt Kit, EU2
32650-892-010AH 10' DC Charg Cord, EU

You might want to check on that.

If you don't get the companion, which has the 30A outlet, where do you plug the trailer in to take advantage of the 4000W?

pegmikef

Yeah Bob, exactly my point. I just went out and looked at my generators and only the companion has the 30 (actually 28.6) amp outlet. Part of the parallel kit is an adaptor that accepts a standard RV 30 amp plug. The standard 2000i generator has two 13.6 amp outlets (I assume that is the nonsurge total for both outlets) and an 8 amp 12v DC outlet. When I start my 15K btu A/C, I can hear the gennies surge from the startup load, but they settle right down after it is running.