Big Horn tow vehicle question

lynda7

Would we be safe pulling a 3055RL Big Horn with our 2500 Dodge Ram Diesel with automatic, pac brake, long bed, 4:10 rear end? We know it would be maxed out, but we run with empty tanks and just a little water...appreciate your thoughts and advise:( :confused:

Last edited:

HappyKayakers

You must have a 2500 if you think it will be maxed out? We're pulling a 3600RL with a 3500 SRW. On our way out west, we were about 400lbs over the GVWR of the truck but under on all axles. The loaded weight of the 5er was 14500.

fhollan

We had a F250 7.3 Powerstroke and 4.10 which pulled my BH (bought last summer) without any problem. I was concerned about the cargo load (pin weight) and only took three short trips last year. Traded it in on a F350 earlier this year. Do the math, find out what the rear axle and tires can hold. I feel safer with a 1 ton DRW since the pin weight could be up to 2800 lbs loaded.

jpmorgan37

Lynda7;

Here is a worksheet that will tell you if your Tow Vehicle is safely capible of towing and stopping your 3055. For most of us, towing is not a problem, being able to stop safely is a bigger concern and then the load carrying limits of the suspension, frame and axels is the final limiting factor.

[FONT=Arial,]GVWR WORKSHEET[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,]HOW TO TELL IF YOUR VEHICLE EXCEEDS ITS GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING...

Determine the GVWR by looking on the label located on the driver's door post of most vehicles.

Enter that figure into the table below.

Determine the NET WEIGHT by taking an unloaded vehicle to a public scale and getting it weighed.

Enter the weight into the table below.

GVWR ______________________
(Minus) NET WEIGHT - _____________________
Maximum Allowable Load = ______________________
Load to be Carried = - ____________________

Add all of the following items:

Weight of passengers carried
Weight of all fuel, water, oil and equipment (tools, etc.)
Weight of all after-market items installed
Weight of any cargo
Weight of other miscellaneous items to be carried

Enter the total of all the above to the table above in "Load to be Carried".

Subtract the "Load to be Carried" from the "Maximum Allowable Load".

If the "Maximum Allowable Load" will be exceeded, you must reduce the weight of the "Load to be Carried" in order to remain in compliance with your vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

For optimum results, reduce the "Maximum Allowable Load" to 75% of the maximum and stay within that limit to allow a margin of safety.

When integrating a tow vehicle with a trailer, either a fiver or travel trailer, add the GVWR of the trailer with the GVWR of the tow vehicle. If they add up to more than the GCWR of the tow vehicle it's a bad match. The only solution is to pick a lighter trailer or a bigger tow vehicle. The same applies to a self contained unit and a towed unit, either four wheels down or on a dolly.

This was taken from the January issue of Air Safe Hitches.

John
[/FONT]

phranc

Lynda7,, with the 4:10 axle, would that mean a 3500 ?...If so that is what I have .. Almost identical to HappyKayakers. But with the 4:10 I am under GVW.Good working combo..

phranc

Lynda7...Most of the people on this forum have their RV type and tow vehicle in their signature...If you follow JPMorgan's work sheet for weights you'll get a accurate idea of your towing capacity.