TS3 trailer hitch seems loose

bluebirdsnfur

We brought our BC home last Wednesday. After disconnecting we were checking the hitch (Hensley TS3) and the 4way tilt seemed really loose. It didn't seem that loose when we hitched up to haul the BC home. Is that normal?

bluebirdsnfur

Thank you alkyspeed and jmgratz. I think I may take it in today and have it looked at before we hook up and take the BC out for a practice run. Better safe than sorry.

BTW...we will be at Goshen rally and would sure appreciate some 'hands on tutoring' with hooking up, disconnecting and leveling.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I called Hensley technical help and the tech told me this back and forth movement is normal but to try and tighten the nut on the front of the head and it should stiffen it up some. I have put a bungee cord across it for now to keep it from flopping back and forth.

porthole

Retired
I cut a 2x4 down to put between the head and the frame. I needed the head to stay level to clear the roll up cover.

1231ChaseB

I took a swim noodle and cut a couple pieces and jammed into each side to keep it from rattling ! Work's great !
chaseb

bluebirdsnfur

So I did go back to Classy Chassis and, yep, you guys are right. Their expert hitch dude said it was normal for the hitch to wobble like that. Just need to bungee strap it down. I like the 'noodle' or 2x4 idea tho.

BTW, DH installed a 'backflip' hard cover over the bed and it does clear the hitch. Keeps anything in the bed nice and dry and safe when we lock the tailgate.;)

Thanks for your help guys!

caissiel

I was at the tampa RV show last February and checked all the New Model 5th wheel hitches and to my surprise they were all loose due to so many moving parts and bolts used to keep all the parts together. For every swivel there a manufactured clearance required, and it will definitly wear off a bit if not properly lubricated.

I realy was very surprised at the looseness allowed when manufacturing these units.

bluebirdsnfur

Thanks, caisiel. It kinda freaks you out to see it wobble like that after disconnecting for the first time...for us newbies I mean.

Thanks everyone!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
After talking to tech help at Hensley I was told to tighten the nut on the front (towards the bottom) of the head. I did about 1/2 turn (it seemed tight already and had to use a 'cheater' bar on the wrench to get enough torque to move the nut) and it snugged up the head so it doesn't flop back and forth anymore. Their tech knew what he was talking about.