How well does it track?

TNEagle

I purchased a 2011 3950 back in Oct. Only drove it down the interstate and about 2 miles off the main hwy to my house where it has been parked. Now it's about camping time! Boy that's a long trailer. How does it track or say maneuver thru traffic, turning at intersections? My biggest fear is turning onto a street without enough room and running over the curb or worst something big and solid. I'ts really eating at me thinking about this. :confused: Can you give me some encouragement or tips? Thanks

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
You might want to consider taking it to a large empty parking lot to get used to turning and such. I've done this a couple of times and it helps.

Mark

flameon

I'm not trying to belittle your driving skills but if you are that uncomforable driving your unit maybe you could book a couple of lessons at a professional driving school (using your own vehicles) where they teach semi drivers how to safely manuver in tight city & highway settings, also backing up without mishaps. not sure what the dollar amount would be for a few hours but sure beats an insurance claim and would really help build your confidence.

TNEagle

It's not my driving skills but just how much room is needed to maneuver around. My last fithwheel was only 27 foot long and I drug it all over without a concern. This one is 40 ft. I was looking for others opions that have these triple axle trailers and if they find them tricky or do they track pretty well. I realize I will figure it out pretty fast the first time I get in a tight spot but was just wondering if others try to avoid roads or intersections that would normally be no problem with say a 30 or 35 foot double axle trailer. Thanks

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2008 Bighorn 3400RE that is 38ft long from pin to back of ladder. My SOB before it was a 29ft 5th wheel. I took the Dick Reed's Driving school with the 29 ft 5th wheel and the rules still apply.

I was following my GPS passing through a small town and it said to turn right down main street. When I arrived at the intersection it was only 2 lanes and there was a raiload steel rail imbeded in the corner concrete. When I zoomed out on the GPS I saw that if I went straight I would end up at the same road rather than turn right downtown then turning left on what they called the highway.

Keep your calm and if you thing you will have trouble making a curve, DON'T.

One thing I found out about making a turn from the driving school. To make a proper turn try to use two lanes if possible. If your turning onto a single lane from a single lane stay as far to the left as possible, pull forward until the back of the seat is in line with the curb then look to see if you can make the turn into an open lane. If not keep going forward. Try it in a parking lot or find a road that is clear on a weekend when there is little traffic. I like to go through housing construction areas where they have stopped building houses and have an open road.

Go Slow, watch your trailer tires in the mirror at all times. Don't turn if your not sure. It is easier to back up straight than try to back out of a tight area turn.

FWIW
BC

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't know if you have a traveling companion, but if so, they can help you watch your mirrors as well (lane changes, swinging out to turn, etc.) I also hop out and help direct us in and out at gas stations and pulling into and out of campsites. Pesky poles like to jump out! Rather be safe than sorry (been there, tore that).

E

caissiel

There is a around 6ft difference where the trailer wheels are located on the trailer to the truck, if you go from 27ft to 39ft.
One more fact that I do watch for is the rear swing so I like to move ahead while turning so as the rear also moves toward the wheels, cutting sharp causes rear swing.
I usually look in my mirrors right through the turn as much as possible. After a few turn you will see the 10 ft rule I use will be pretty close. That is 10 ft further then without the trailer.

flameon

like I said, I wasn't doubting your ability, my wife has driven semi's for 25yrs & was getting her semi driver instructor's license when she was injured and only suggested the driving schools to get straight forward useful information no matter what size vehicle your driving. about turns, when turning right, take care to keep the front wheels close to the center line so that your rear wheels do not drop off the pavement or go onto the curb/sidewalk. when turning left, keep the front wheels close to the right edge of the lane to keep your driver's side rear wheels out of the next lane of traffic, practise makes perfect. I suggest if you are wondering about different routes, maybe preplan your route with up to date maps (AAA or ?) or gps as suggested and keep your cool.

TXBobcat, your link to the Dick Reed's Driving School has great information.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is a piece of cake pulling one that length. Our first 5er was a 40 foot Alfa Gold triple axle. Pulled it all over the country. Now our Landmark is 38.5 feet (actually it is 40' from rear ladder to kingpin box. If you measure it from the back of the pickup to the rear ladder it is only 35 feet. Just give yourself plenty of room when changing lanes, and turning. Also remember the first rule of backing..go slow, and have a lookout. Use your mirrors and adjust them properly. Practice in a parking lot first if you are unsure. Relax, you can do it.

TNEagle

Thanks all. I do appreciate all your comments. It's time to just do it. Our plans are to only go out a couple of times per year (all the vacation time) for the next 6 yrs on Then it's FULL TIMING IT!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
TNEagle
Take a short weekend trip to a campground close by and get use to pulling the Cyclone. When I got my first 5th wheel and was going to go to a rally in about a month, I took my trailer out for a drive around town and a friend of mine called me an asked me to go on a weekend camping trip. This friend didn't really need to go out, he had heard about my concern in pulling the trailer and decided to go a weekend to help me check it out. Find a friend and go for a nice weekend. I know you had a 5er before but it was fun to just get out and test things before a real trip around others.

BC

traveler44

Like somebody said if you are turning right- swing as far left as possible and go as far to the left as you can when cutting back in. Keep your side mirrors aimed where you can see the side of the tires for awhile. You should be allright. If there are two left turn lanes stay in the one to the right. Otherwise swing as far to the right as you can all the way around. Once again watch the side mirror. When you are near anything on either side, pullout straight as far as you can before turning hard and if you have to, back part way up and turn again. They used to call this wagon turning except the wagons didn't have as much overhang on the back. Tom M.

truknutt

Committed Member
I have a "baby" 36 foot Cyclone and I will tell you that we did our share of curb hopping at first! Moving up from a 30 foot tandem to this triple had its learning curve!

You will find that when backing the behemoth that it takes longer for the Cyclone to react to your tow vehicle's input; I mean it requires a more deliberate angle to get the nose to kick (I think it has to do with the extra set of tires and their resistance). When backing in at the house, I find that increasing the air in the Firestone air bags places more weight on the rear-most axle of the Cyclone which makes the tight 90 degree turn a tad easier.

SLOW & STEADY is my new motto. Use all of your lane when making turns; both left & right. You do have a tad bit more tail to be aware of but it will all come together with practice.

TwoGypsies

I've just started pulling, been on the road since early June and now have about 7k miles on the 3812. If I had the time to take a course I would have, and am going to look into it when we finish the present 'grand tour' and start to slow down. (We both retired, sold a house, set up the rig, and looked after a ton of red tape with address change etc, all in about 3 weeks, then hit the road with grandkids.) I've gotten into some pretty tight spots and the biggest frustration I find is the amount of room and distance I need to get the trailer to start cutting over while backing. Also, once I get it turning and want it to straighten out, even with the wheels locked it's a struggle to 'break' the jack knife. The truck just wants to follow the curve unless I stop and pull forward and the whole exercise gains me almost nothing. I've started watching other big-rig guys get into their back-in sites which I'm sure they find annoying.
There's been several near-misses. Once I thought to look up and saw that I was about to clean off a yard lamp on a pole. And, I managed to dent my truck box. We were in a state park and I tried to pull around an extremely sharp corner. The trailer wheels dropped down into the ditch on the sharp side. I saw it and thought I could just pull it through, which I did. Unfortunately I didn't think about the trailer coming down on the box rail. The wife has suggested I don't get it fixed for a while, in case I do any more Stupid Human Tricks...... I'm going to look into the Dick Reed locations.

TwoGypsies

Looks like Dick Reed's Ocala Florida site will work for us. We're thinking of Florida for a good part of this winter.