Microwave Moisture

cjbearden

Visitor
Does anyone else experience excessive moisture in the microwave door? We are talking to the extent that droplets of water drip from beneath the door when cooking. Concern is that water is dripping onto the stove top when we are trying to cook other food. Ours is not a microwave/convection oven, just a simple microwave. Do not have this problem at home. Dealer said he called manufacturer of the microwave and that it was normal but still seems excessive to me.:confused:

RickNB

This problem has come up on the forum before a search should provide you with some information. The microwave in our Sundance has the same problem and it looks to be a ventilation problem . I took our unit out and set it on the counter and it runs fine producing no wecess moisture. The way our unit sits in the cabinet is on 2 pieces of lumber rather than the feet it comes with and it appears the lumber is restricting air flow either into or out of the unit. I havnt come up with a fix for it yet but its possible.

On edit I found a couple of pics that show the 1x3 that the unit is sitting on that is restricting the air flow holes in the bottom.

Have fun
Rick

Attachments

• MicrowaveCabinet.JPG
    MicrowaveCabinet.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 92
  • MicroWaveBottom.JPG
    MicroWaveBottom.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 86

fhollan

Microwave Problem

Ours has the same problem. JD, yours is a 2006 model, same as mine, Rick's is a 2007 model. Maybe someone with a 2008 might be able to let us know if they have that problem also, and hopefully a solution. Rick, I hope you're right.

Dutchman

Excessive moisture is generally caused by two factors. One is during the cooking process itself. Items being heated should be covered. If it isn't, the water vapor will fill the cavity and condense on the cooler door panel. The second is poor air flow and venting. If a MW is properly vented, MOST moisture will be vented outside the cavity. I've also experienced over the past 30 years problems w/the internal fan. It may be dirty, running slow or restricted. One way to determine the problem is to remove the oven and run it on the countertop. If excessive moisture occurs and the food is covered,than the problem is with the internal fan system. If there is not any excessive moisture than I would look for an installation defect...

nscaler2

A fix maybe?

RickNB said:
This problem has come up on the forum before a search should provide you with some information. The microwave in our Sundance has the same problem and it looks to be a ventilation problem . I took our unit out and set it on the counter and it runs fine producing no wecess moisture. The way our unit sits in the cabinet is on 2 pieces of lumber rather than the feet it comes with and it appears the lumber is restricting air flow either into or out of the unit. I havnt come up with a fix for it yet but its possible.

On edit I found a couple of pics that show the 1x3 that the unit is sitting on that is restricting the air flow holes in the bottom.

Have fun
Rick

Rick,
Are the two 1 x 3's there as spacers to get the oven to the right heigth or are they there as stuctural support? I can't tell from the photo. Anyway, if they are there as spacers only, perhaps some wood blocks (the correct thickness) under the legs of the micro instead of the boards would let it breath better.

Tom of Ypsi

Not being able to tell by the pic's but would wire shelving work as a base instead of the 1x3 in there now. You can get the shelving at a home improvement store and have it cut to the length and width you need or cut it yourself. This should give the air flow needed.

RickNB

The 2 1x3 boards are there to get the MicroWave to the right height in the cabinet as the rubber feet are a little too short to clear the bottom trim on the cabinet(there must be longer rubber feet available:confused:) Anyway I have moved the wood supports out to the side and have had to add 1/2 inch more of spacer to get the proper height out there as the bottom of the microwave is not all the same height. So far this seems to have done the trick on the moisture problem.

Have fun
Rick

Attachments

• NewSupportMicrowace.JPG
    NewSupportMicrowace.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 51
  • MicrowaveCabinet.JPG
    MicrowaveCabinet.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 40
We have a 2006 BigHorn 3600RL and had the same problem as well as the wall between the microwave and the cabinet was getting really hot. We put in a Dometic microwave that is meant to be inserted in a closed in space and that took care of 90% of the problem. Once in a while I still get a little moisture showing up on the vents above and below the microwave but NONE in the door or clock area and the wall doesn't get hot. I do always cover the food as well.

jwb187

We have had no problems with moisture with the Microwave/Convection oven combo that comes in the 2008 Big Horn......tried it out extensively this past weekend and it worked fine, no moisture noted.

fhollan

I took my BH to the dealer yesterday to get some warranty work done before it runs out this summer. I did mention to them the problem with our microwave steaming up, that we do cover our food when it's cooking and possibly not venting properly. I just received a call stating that they are going to replace the microwave since they found it did have a problem. Should be in sometime next week. :)

L'l John

What brand of microwave do you have that is to be replaced?
I have been having the same problem since we got our Bighorn 3400RL last spring. Dealer replaced it with same brand, but the problem remains.
Mine is a "Sylvania". We even tried ours removed from the cabinet and sitting on the table out in the open and it still steams up inside and between the door glass.

ChopperBill

RickNB seemed to find the problem. I would guess all the new microwaves in the country wont work unless you follow his fix.

L'l John

We even tried ours removed from the cabinet and sitting on the table out in the open and it still steams up inside and between the door glass.

ChopperBill,
Quote from my previous post in case you rushed thru reading it

cjbearden

Visitor
Thanks for all the info from everyone. Ours is a Sylvania and we do cover things we cook in the microwave. We are currently enroute to RV Capital in Elkhart and are scheduled to be in their shop Tuesday morning!! We are excited that Heartland stepped up and got us in touch with RV Capital to help resolve our numerous coach issues, one of which will be the microwave. Will post our 'report card' of service later. Wish we had been more diligent in reviewing this Forum last year after we found out there was such a Forum. We would have known to go ahead and contact Heartland directly when our dealer was taking so much time getting parts, making repairs, etc. We are even wondering now if our dealer (River City RV, North Little Rock, AR) continues to be a Heartland dealer because we notice on each trip to service department there are fewer Heartland BigHorn units in their inventory.

Keep us in your prayers as we travel through the stormy weather and during our week's stay in Elkhart for the much needed repairs.

L'l John

Update following Rally

While at the Rally in Goshen, RV Capitol replaced my Sylvania microwave with a Dometic. It fit the surround grill perfectly and vents thru the top of the grill vents.
Great job!!! :)

cjbearden

Visitor
RV Capital replaced our Sylvania with a Dometic on our first trip to see them. Love our new M/W. Thanks to Jim Fenner at Heartland and Mike Blue at RVC.

CJ

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Microwave moisture

Had the moisture problem in our 2006 3600RL BH, and the dealer replaced the unit. No more moisture problems with new microwave.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Heartland replaced our Sylvania with a Dometic at the rally as well. WOW what a difference. Not only is it dry, now I get a full bag of popcorn. Thanks Heartland!

ChopperBill

Used ours last week for about the first time. Just used it for a quick warm up of stuff last year. Ours steamed up pretty good. Our 3055 is about 13 months old. Still a chance of getting the Dometic? What number do I call to check this out?