5th wheel hitch

ntoport

I have a 2011 F350, with a short bed. I was told by my dealer.....just took delievery of my 2012 3585....that a 18k pullrite super18 would allow me to turn at least 88*. Found out that I could only do maybe 80*. So I decided to go with the SuperGlide to get the full 90* turning ability. Has anybody else found this same problem? Salesmen told me he has never seen this problem. I double checked their installation specs. and according to all info I can find it seems to be correct. I thought the king pin was suppose to set right over the axel, but the specs. says in front of the axel by 4 inches or 32.5 inches from the back of the bed to the first base bar.
Any input would be helpful.

trvlrerik

I have an 08 f350 srw and I do not have the exact measurement but I know my king pin when hitched is foreward of the axle by several inches. On a level surface I can get to 88 degrees with my Cyclone.

rebootsemi

My hijacker slider calls for a min of 3" center pin forward of the rear axle, if the pin is right over the axle it will un-weight the front of your truck making your steering pretty light. If I get into a tight spot backing I will slide it out just to be safe. I actually put a $800 dent in the top of the cab with the nose piece on the Sundance. I was turning right and going up a fairly steep driveway. We will not do that again. I have not found a spot yet where I had to jack the trailer anywhere close to 90.

lwmcguir

3-4 inches ahead of the axle is ideal. Some mount them on top/center but that isn't the best way to do it. I could turn 90 degrees with my F250 short bed. Must be a little shorter from the cap to the hitch in the newer trucks. We do have a 5Th Airborne pin box.

caissiel

On my BC I had to move my hitch to 2" ahead of the axle so there is some clearance in front of the wall, as it is it's still to close , the tailgate down still can hit the door when hitched sideways a bit and that is not much.

71stang99

I just installed a Reese 20k non sliding hitch and was wondering if I need to reverse it as the instructions mention. Those instructions are not the best in regards to saying if the factory position (pin over axel diagram) is okay or if it needs to be flipped and the head springs reversed. The truck is an 09 F350 4x4 long bed and supercab and the trailer will be a Cyclone 300C. Thanks

Oh is ahead of the axle towards the cab of the truck or towards the tailgate? I would guess towards the cab?

lwmcguir

Ideal center of hitch is three inches toward the cab (ahead of the rear axle) on all trucks and is standard on F350's.

caissiel

When I had the standard box on my GM I installed the hitch on top of the axle. I never saw the need to turn more then 70Deg, or it would hit the cab.
The TT trailers will never get close to 80Deg anyway because of the design of the hitch. I don't know why everyone is so concern about this 88deg turning.
On pavement it will possibly cause more harm then good to the axles and alignment. Seeing the tires twist is usualy my limit in turns.

mmomega

AnyTimer
We went with the SuperGlide in our '07 shortbed just because I never knew what kind of situation I may get in and I'd much rather be safe than sorry. I can say I have had 1-2 instances where the slider really saved me at that particular moment. I believe it is mounted 2-3 ahead of the axle.