MorRyde vs.Trail Air

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I am reseaching both Mor Ryde and Trail Air pin box replacements for our 2012 Bighorn 3185 that we just took delivery of. Each seems to have its own pro/con. I have a F250 with Timbren suspension helpers. I would like to replace the white cover to the new hitch pin that I chose, so I think I am limited to the MorRyde. Is one better than the other or does it come down to what you like to see?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish....if you have a "chucking" issue, that's what Mor Ryde is made to reduce. Trailair is an airbag cushion made to reduce a "bouncing/banging" issue, thereby making the fiver rider smoother. Trailair also has an add-on that will also reduce "chucking", if you're experiencing both problems...Mor Ryde will not effect the bouncing....

If you have no "chucking" issue, then in my opinion go with the Trailair...protecting the fiver would be my first priority...

GOTTOYS

A couple of other options are available to you. The Fifth Airborne pinbox has an airbag and a shock absorber much like the Trail-Aire, but it is built a little differently. With a little trimming you can put your plastic pinbox cover over it. Do a search and there should be a thread or two on here regarding that. There is also the Trail-Aire with the Tri-Glide option. This is designed to help eliminate up and down movement and chucking...Decisions, decisions...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Modifying the pin box cover to fit the 5th Airborne pin box is very simple to do. I just did mine recently after putting the 5th AB on.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It also depends on how much you want to spend..$$$$$$. We have had the Mor/Ryde for almost 4 years and no complaints. I don't care what you install. You will still have some of both. It's the high dollar roads in this country that we all pay for. This link has the best prices I have found on a Mor/Ryde pinbox and the shipping is FREE. You can install it yourself with a little help. About 120# if I remember.

http://tweetys.com/

dougw

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish....if you have a "chucking" issue, that's what Mor Ryde is made to reduce. Trailair is an airbag cushion made to reduce a "bouncing/banging" issue, thereby making the fiver rider smoother. Trailair also has an add-on that will also reduce "chucking", if you're experiencing both problems...Mor Ryde will not effect the bouncing....

If you have no "chucking" issue, then in my opinion go with the Trailair...protecting the fiver would be my first priority...

what is the difference between "chucking" & "banging"? which one is more likely to break the trailer?

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
I am reseaching both Mor Ryde and Trail Air pin box replacements
I do have a Trail Air Tri GLide for sale and you are in New York.

I would like to replace the white cover to the new hitch pin that I chose,

Not going to happen with either of those two choices. Supposedly does fit with a little modification on the 5th Airborne

Is one better than the other or does it come down to what you like to see?

I have and have tried both. 1st a Mor/Ryde then the Trail Air Tri Glide. The Mor/Ryde is back on the trailer. I do not like the action of the Tri Glide, too harsh for my tastes in conjunction with a Super Glide hitch..

JohnDar

I do have a Trail Air Tri GLide for sale and you are in New York.

Not going to happen with either of those two choices. Supposedly does fit with a little modification on the 5th Airborne

I have and have tried both. 1st a Mor/Ryde then the Trail Air Tri Glide. The Mor/Ryde is back on the trailer. I do not like the action of the Tri Glide, too harsh for my tastes in conjunction with a Super Glide hitch..

It does. Looking at the cover dismounted, you need to cut about two inches from the front where it contacts the trailer. Easily done by scoring with a box cutter and snapping it off. Dry fit it over the 5th AB and locate where to drill and tap two 1/4-20 holes for the front mounting screws. Use machine screws to reattach it in front. At the rear, under the cap, pilot drill some holes and use self-tapping sheet metal screws to secure it. Caulk around the top and you're done.

I'll try to get some photos of the finished job later this afternoon. Will be busy working on one of our Hazmat trailers.

porthole

Retired
John, the OP was asking about the cover on the his 1st two choices, Trail Air and Mor/Ryde. The cover will not fit on either of those. Maybe on the Mor/Ryde, if you completely cut out both sides and just use the top.
I have the cover and both pin boxes and tried it on both.

I know some of you guys got it to fit with the 5th. Had I known that I probaly would have steered towards the 5th for that reason with the first pin box (Mor/Ryde).

Still keeping my big white plastic cover though. I ordered it with the trailer but never got to see it on. I had Mor/Ryde put the pin box on before I got to Elkhart.

Could be something to bring to Goshen for the swap table???

JohnDar

Heck, Duane, and I made it a point to go out there this afternoon and take a bunch of 8x10 color glossies of it. Well, okay, I went to mount the switch plate for the Ground Control jacks and the pictures were an add-on project.

porthole

Retired
Pictures are always good, especially 8x10 color glossy's with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was

JohnDar

Pictures are always good, especially 8x10 color glossy's with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was

I haven't quite got the circles and arrows part down, but I like to have photos to back up my incessant jabbering on this forum.

?...8x10 color glossy's with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was

Thanks for the blast back to the 60's with a quote from Alice's Restaurant.

This was also a helpful thread as I am looking for a replacement. I cannot change out the hitch as I have a B&W gooseneck setup so I can pull my horse trailer when not towing the RW.I just want to make sure I buy the right replacement the first time. Is one really better than the others?

lwmcguir

We have tried most of the Air Pin boxes over the years as the came on the market. 5Th Airborne has been the best and the real advantage for the HL is the nice cover goes on in about 10 minutes.