To hot to handle?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just curious if this has happened to anyone. We were boiling water for spaghetti on the back burner of the stove, while cooking the meat/sauce on the front burner. Apparently the medium-sized straight-sided pot we used caused flames or heat to get a little too warm for the wallpaper, and caused some slight blistering of the paper surface! I understand that OE (Operator Error) may have caused this, but I was wondering if it had happened to anyone? And to serve as a warning to be aware of the pot size you place on the back burner. We are considering adding some stamped tin backsplash to cover our "oops!".:p

E

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Glad to hear that didn't turn into a nasty situation. We usually use the front & center burner for most of our needs. If we do use more than one, the back burners get used for low heat situations. If you had to I suppose a cookie sheet leaning up against the wall would be a good heat blocker.

pegmikef

My DW routinely leans the sink inserts against the wall behind the stove. It gets them out of the way and protects the wall from heat.

Rickhansen

We haven't experienced that (yet), but thanks for sharing. We looked at the big-box stores at the "stamped-tin" backsplash because we liked the looks, but it is plastic and it quite expensive. I didn't think it would hold to the heat and cleaning products very well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We haven't experienced that (yet), but thanks for sharing. We looked at the big-box stores at the "stamped-tin" backsplash because we liked the looks, but it is plastic and it quite expensive. I didn't think it would hold to the heat and cleaning products very well.

Do not use those plastic ones that look like tin, they are not rated to be exposed to high heat. I special-ordered real stamped tin ceiling/backsplash panels online. Have not had time to install them yet. When we do I'll post pics.

E

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Glad you didn't incur any serious damage. But in regards to cooking pasta, my wife loves those microwave containers made specifically for that. I'll have to ask her tomorrow what the actual name of it is. She's got one for home and the rig.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tony, the better 1/2 had me install the "tin roof" stuff behind the stove. Came out pretty good but was a PITA. All her projects are that way. Sorry didn't take any pix.

jbeletti

My DW routinely leans the sink inserts against the wall behind the stove. It gets them out of the way and protects the wall from heat.

I used to do this until one time, I had a large fry pan of food on the front burner when the stored "stove" inserts slid down from the back and pushed the hot pan of food onto the floor. Big mess but dogs loved it. I no longer store them standing up behind the stove - lesson learned.

Gaffer

I cut a piece of lexan to put up against the wall behind the cook top. It is clear so you don't notice it all that much and is great for keeping the back wall clean.