generator fuel stabilizer question

szewczyk_john

I use fuel stabilizer (STA-BIL) in all my other small engines so I have no problem understanding the benefits of its use. The Onan book says to use theirs. Does is anyone know if there is a difference in the two? How much are you paying for the Onan brand? I have never needed to drain a carb bowl nor have I used the fogger spray, so how much is the fogger and where do you purchase your onan products?

ultrafarmer

I am the same, used stabil and no problems. Onan just wants money. I do start it up once a month like the book says. Good luck

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've been using Stabil on all of my stored small engines for as long as I can remember. No issues, never. I recently heard from a friend that he uses Seafoam. I have used Seafoam as a fuel additive but haven't considered it as a fuel stabilizer. Not having read the label, I suppose I should.
Point here is, Onan is trying to get you to buy their brand. I don't think it matters.

porthole

Retired
I would bet Onan does not make their own stabilizer. And would be surprised if it is not "Stabil" just repackaged.

Use the Stabil.

I try and run the Genny once a month or at least every other month. But if you do run the Genny, do it right. Just starting and letting it run for a bit is not helping any.
Start it, let it warm up for a minute, then start adding loads. In the winter I'll either run both heat strips or plug in heaters, warmer weather I'll use both a/c's
I'll run it under the full load for 15 minutes or so then turn everything off and let it run with no load for a few minutes.

handva

Another Sta-Bil product to look at is the marine variety. It is supposed to be good for ethanol gas.