Cornerstone United RV Extended Warranties

BarneyFife

Here's another one for others to chime in on. Cornerstone United is a warranty company out of Hickory, NC so at least they're somewhat local for me. RV Outlet is selling their plan but certainly not "pushing" it on us.

7 years for a little over $1800 and that includes the tire warranty. Any comments or opinions?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes, don't buy it. Look at a Good Sam policy and their roadside policy. The dealer makes about 1/2 of that money. Look carefully at the exclusions. Probably does not cover much. Most of the appliances have a 3 years warranty anyway.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Yes, don't buy it. Look at a Good Sam policy and their roadside policy. The dealer makes about 1/2 of that money. Look carefully at the exclusions. Probably does not cover much. Most of the appliances have a 3 years warranty anyway.

Agree with Bob and Patty. Good Sam has a much better plan available for 5th wheels and travel trailers.

BarneyFife

I have to ask an honest, innocent question.(No flames, please)

Is this negativity against Cornerstone based on personal knowledge or the general stereotype that most extended warranty companies aren't very good? No disrespect meant at all here. I value everyone's opinions. But I would hope not every single extended warranty company is up to no good. I like the Good Sam plan but they only offer 3 years and they said I could renew after that yearly. This Cornerstone offers a 7 year deal and from what I can tell so far, they seem to be OK.

I did do a "google" of them with reviews and the only thing I could find was a similar thread on an R-Pod forum. A few folks seemed pleased with it. I hate how it does run concurrently with the Heartland warranty but I'd rather just throw it into my financing instead of using our Disney money next year.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have no experience with cornerstone. I have had a policy on my truck through GE but on a motorized vehicle my feeling is an extended warranty through a reliable company isn't a bad idea. In my case, for a used truck, it saved me overall. The best thing I can tell you is to read the fine print on the plan and the contract. There are many checkboxes on those applications and ya need to make sure you are getting what you are paying for. Personally, I wouldn't go with one on a non motorized vehicle.

GOTTOYS

Take a good look at what it really covers as it applies to your RV. Cross off the things that don't apply. Is there enough left to make it worthwhile? What is there track record on paying? How do they look with the BBB? These are all things to consider. In reality you probably won't own this RV for 7 years so for me that wouldn't be an issue. If you sell it or trade it before the 7 years is up will you get any money back? Would it be less expensive to set a few dollars aside to pay for your own repairs? Also keep in mind most of the repair prices they present in their advertising are most likely highly inflated to "scare" you into buying. Most important will they still be around to pay off a claim or will they fade into the sunset, taking your money with them? If you feel you really "need" to spend this money Good Sam is about the most promising deal out there. JMHO...Don

Bob&Patty

My answer is still no. Good Sam is still the best bang for the buck. Financing $1800.00 for 15-20 years is just silly. NO offense. My statements are based on 45+ years in the auto business. Warranty (insurance) companies come and go. As stated by Ray...GE Capital, Western General, GMPP (GM), and some others are good to go. Does this Co. pay direct to the repair shop or do you have to pay up front and hope you get reimbursted??? Will you have to pay for the diagnose's time and they only pay for the repair?? Lastly, I have never heard of this company. If you are bound and determined to get one, then get one from a company that has a well known name. JMHO

GOTTOYS

Like Bob, I have spent many years in the service end of the car business. Ask anybody with a similar background and you will get the same answer, for the same reasons...Don

Bob&Patty

To the OP, make sure that you DO NOT have to take it to YOUR DEALER only to have repairs done. Some contracts are that way. Right Don??

BarneyFife

Just for what its worth.

$25 deductible if we take it to the selling dealer.
$50 deductible if we go to a different dealer.
They pay the repair service directly.

They've been in business for almost 40 years.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well BarneyFife, you asked for opinions and all replies were either "be careful", "Look into Good Sams plan" or flat out against any extended warranties. You are the decision maker in the long run. I'm sorry if our opinions didn't go quite the way you may have hoped. Good Luck with your decision and if you decide to go with the Cornerstone plan, please, read the fine print. Most of all, enjoy your new rig...