TS3 reminder.

porthole

Retired
For those that have a new to them TS3.

Don't forget to pull that release pin.

I did that 2 weeks ago while checking out how everything works.
The hitch will latch up correctly, but by not pulling the release pin the block that slides in between the catch to lock in place does not move. So your pin looks captured but as you drive away it releases.

I found this doing that "trailer brakes on - pull away test".
Nothing dropped because I keep the landing gear down for this test. But I did move far enough forward to have the pin box hit the plastic cover on the tail gate and break it.

danemayer

Same is true on the BD3 hitch. If you don't pull the release pin before hitching up, the jaws appear to close, but the handle doesn't move all the way to the rear position and the jaws are not actually locked.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Same is true on the BD3 hitch. If you don't pull the release pin before hitching up, the jaws appear to close, but the handle doesn't move all the way to the rear position and the jaws are not actually locked.

bluebirdsnfur

Our instrution booklet says there is an 8, 9, and 10 o'clock position for the lever. You pull the release pin and lock the lever in the 8 o'clock position...is this what you are talking about?

What is the 'trailer brakes on-pull away test? :confused:

porthole

Retired
Our instrution booklet says there is an 8, 9, and 10 o'clock position for the lever. You pull the release pin and lock the lever in the 8 o'clock position...is this what you are talking about?

Yes, my point was to "remember" to pull the pin and then test.

What is the 'trailer brakes on-pull away test? :confused:

After hooking up, everything put away the last thing I do before leaving is to raise the front landing gear to about 1/2-1" off the ground. Maybe the chocks still out (if I even used them) I then apply full trailer brake (dash control) and try and pull away.
If nothing moves I'm good to go. If the hitch didn't hold then the trailer drops an inch or so onto already lowered landing gear - instead of the truck bed.

danemayer

10 o'clock: the jaws are fully open. This is the position you put the lever in to unhitch. Pull the release pin and pull the lever toward the front of the truck and it will latch open in the 10 o'clock position. The jaws are open. If you leave it in this position and try to hitch, the jaws will close but not lock fully.
9 o'clock: before hitching up, pull the release pin which allows the lever to move from 10 to 9 (toward the rear of the truck). The jaws are open, and when you contact the pin, the jaws will close and lock.
8 o'clock: when the jaws lock, the lever moves from 9 to 8 o'clock (rearmost position). Visually check that the lever is in this position and the jaws are closed. Then do the "pull away test." I leave the tailgate down and keep the landing gear just touching the ground. If the hitch doesn't hold, I don't want to damage the truck or the trailer.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't have any of that.. I open my jaws on the hitch back into it they close and I lock the arm in position and pull out. When I unhitch I drop the landing gear, open the lever and pin it open the drive away (don't forget to put the tail gate down :cool:).

My B&W 5th wheel is just no fun at all.

BC

traveler44

I can't open the jaw on the 18K reese sig. series without pulling the release arm outward. Glad to hear you did the pull test. I do it once with the legs down and then again with the legs up and the trailer brake activated. The blue ox bedsaver will stop mine before it gets very far. Tom M.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is another TS3 tip. When not hitch the head would flop back and forth. I called Hensley customer service and they told me to tighten the nut on the front of the head. I did that and it snugged it up so it doesn't flop anymore.