Air conditioner leaking water

wannabfree

We have been in some very humid weather in the Carolinas and the air conditioner is leaking water onto the center of the floor in our 2010 M21 Edge. This happened last summer too but only for a short period and then it seemed to correct itself. Now it seems to be whenever we run the air.
Does anyone know how to tackle a repair ?

Thanx

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Are you running on the high fan setting? If you run it on low, excess condensation can form, especially in humid weather.

MC9

Pop the trim off on the inside of the a/c, there are 4 bolts one in each corner. tighten them up some. There is just a foam gasket between the roof and the a/c. My a/c wasn't on in a rainy day and it started dripping from the next joint down in the ceiling. (my bolts were real loose)

Rickhansen

You may also want to remove the outside cover and check the evaporator condensation pan and drains. Sounds like they might be plugged with debris or something.

wannabfree

Thank you all for the replies. I am trying to get the cover off now. Pryed the control knobs off but couldn't budge the cover. My Dw sees better than I, and spotted a couple of screws holding it to the ceiling. Will tackle those when we return later this aft. ...... and yes we have been using it on the low setting even though it's been so hot and muggy, but, only because it quit controlling no matter where we set the min-max control. It does cool very well, but we can't leave it on high setting when we go out, or our little yorkies would freeze. I guess that is something else I will have to check out with the cover off.
Thanx Again

Dave and Marilyn

wannabfree

OK. Mission accomplished. Removed 8 screws that were securing cover to the ceiling. The 4 bolts were very loose. I tightened them as suggested. Too cool here now to test it out, but, I'm certain there will be an improvement. As to not controlling to set-point, I will leave that to someone more competent when we get home. I will also check the condensation pan and drains when home, but there was a good deal of water running down the side of the trailer as it should. Again, I thank everyone for the feedback.

Dave and Marilyn

chuck9997

I am an EDGE wanna be owner.. so I have no experience with your model of camper.. and this may seem like a "too simple" solution.. but I will share my experience. In my 2006 JAYCO 197.. I experienced water dripping from the AC onto the RV floor.. Someone told me to go outside and check the back end of the camper.. and see if water was dripping from the roof.. I did.. and it wasn't. Just like your car's AC leaves a puddle under the vehicle.. the RV AC has to drip.. somewhere. Most RVs have a little drain off canal.. or something.. off the back end of the camper. Mine was on the right rear side. I just cranked the front end up about an inch or so.. and water started runnig off the roof... and stopped dripping inside the camper. From then on.. I would make sure the camper was a little higher in the front. Just a little.. not even enough that you can feel it.. but the AC water would flow towards the rear of the camper. Worked for me.

JeffN

We had the same experience this weekend. Very hot/humid Missouri weekend. I wasn't sure if the condenser froze up (due to low air flow (our fault)).. but water did start pouring in from the vents. When I got home I took off the inside A/C cover (8 screws) as well as the white rooftop A/C cover (4 screws). the condenser sits on a metal tray along with the blower housing about 2" apart from each other. There was no blockage of any weep holes either from leaves, etc.. Since the blower is the direct "portal" between the "outside" portion of the A/C unit and the "inside" cabin... it seems that water sitting in the metal tray may seep underneath the blower housing and flow inside the rectangular duct that connects the blower to the inside cabin. I have since applied a bead of silicone caulk around the perimeter of blower housing where it meets the metal tray it rests on. As I mentioned, the condenser is close to the blower housing, so you'll have to use your fingers to apply the caulk.. or some long handled, narrow headed stiff bristled brush. I ended up squirting the caulk onto a scrap piece of cardboard and applying it with my finger .. just keep the paper towels handy.

A few other observations.
1. The rectangular duct (about 5 inches in length) didn't seem to be seated correctly against the blower, so from inside the cabin I applied some upward pressure and it seemed to click into place.

2. The exterior condenser weep holes that are punched in the metal tray seem to be positioned in such a way that if your RV isn't level or at an ever so slight incline (front of RV higher than the back), you might aggravate the "water in the cabin" problem.

3. Rooftop seemed very sturdy. I'm 185 lbs and I felt no "give" at all once I was on the roof.. although I stayed on all fours.. never stood up and made sure I had nothing sharp on my person to damage the roof. An eight foot stepladder was all I needed to gain rooftop access.

4. The 8 screws on the inside A/C cover are somewhat difficult to see. The Dometic A/C installation/manual that came with our RV has an illustration that shows where the 8 screws are located.

I'm hoping the caulking and the repositiong of the duct alleviates the water coming in thru the A/C vents. I'll let everyone once we take it out again.

JeffN

Chuck9997's suggestion to postion your RV with a slight incline seems to be the best solution. The exterior metal drip tray (where all the exterior A/C mechanicals sit on) has weep holes and they are all positioned in such a way that would favor the RV sitting at a slight incline.. thanks for that tip !