King Pin Stablizers -- Yea or Nay?

TxCowboy

What do you think about king pin stabilizers? Do they work or is it just a waste of a few hundred bucks?

What has been your experience with them? :confused:

Riverman

We just added a set of JT Strongarm stabilizer bars.
Was a good few hours to install, but well worth it.
They seem to work really well at taking the movement out.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We had the aluminum tripod on our Bighorn and it worked pretty good. I installed a set of JT Stabilizers in the front and they seem to work much better. For a lighter weight rig such as the Greystone, a tripod should be enough to make a noticeable difference. JT's front & rear are probably the best bang for your buck though.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I never got a king pin stabilizer. I installed the Ultra-Fab stabilizer bars (one of several variants of stabilizers) on our BH before ever using it based on the comments I read here before we actually took possession of the trailer. One less heavy piece of hardware to deal with. I think they work just great.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I thought ours worked fairly well. That being said, I'd not buy a brand new one. We found one on craigs list for $50 that had only been used a few times.

hoefler

If you have a Trail-Air or similar suspension on your king pin like we do, it will actually make things worse. Go with the strong arms on you jacks and rear stabilizers, better bang for the buck and self storing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a Trail-Air or similar suspension on your king pin like we do, it will actually make things worse. Go with the strong arms on you jacks and rear stabilizers, better bang for the buck and self storing.

I respectfully disagree......and agree.
I have a tripod and the Trail-Air pin box. It does not make things worse, it does help.
But I agree that the J.T. type stabilizers would be a better choice.

Peace
Dave

Geodude

Best price I've seen on the JTs is $335 at RV Wholesalers. I just about choked on my Cheerios. Anyone find a better deal? They seem awfully spendy for what they are, even if they do work well and even if I do get another 5% discount for using the Canadian dollar.

For now I will try putting a set of stabilizers mid-ship, as I did with our previous travel trailer, to at least take the bounce out of the trailer.

GOTTOYS

I bought a set of BAL stabilizers from Tweedys for around $60.00 each. You will need 3 sets, 1 for the rear and 2 for the front. They look pretty much like the JTs and work the same way for 1/2 the price. Not much to them. I don't think they need to be that expensive...Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I respectfully disagree......and agree.
I have a tripod and the Trail-Air pin box. It does not make things worse, it does help.
But I agree that the J.T. type stabilizers would be a better choice.

Peace
Dave

Ditto. Have both and use them. Don't use the tripod if only setting up for one night. Love the JT's.

Dutch & Di

We too tried the Bi-Pod route and it didn't do much for us. Since we're 38' and have a rear entertainment center we also tried an extra set of arm jacks at the very rear. Helped a bit but nothing took care of our interior movement until we added our permanently mounted stabilizer system. Now, we're happy campers. Diana

Last edited:

ncc1701e

Well, guys I have to say at this point that I use both a tripod under the hitch pin and have JT Stablizers on all four corners. We are fairly new to fifth wheels camping but I have to say that the Sundance 2800RL is rock solid with this setup. The 2800RL is certainly not a huge trailer, but is very comfortable and stable with this setup. Feb 2011 Nashville KOA.JPG The tripod came from Camping World.
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Cimriver

I just ordered the Steady Fast stabilizers. Should be on by next weekend. Hopefully they work well. I have read many good reviews on them.

Birchwood

The King Pin stabilizers are probably worth the $150 or so.They help some to take out the rocking
and they work great as a place to lock your bikes.I wish I had purchased an aluminum
tripod as my steel one is rusting.

Rickhansen

I use a kingpin tripod. I'd like the stabilizers, but haven't sprung for them. I would continue to use a tripod, for support and stability. The washer-dryer is in the closet and adds weight and vibration when in use.