PDA

View Full Version : King Pin Stablizers -- Yea or Nay?

TxCowboy
05-04-2011, 09:56 PM
What do you think about king pin stabilizers? Do they work or is it just a waste of a few hundred bucks?

What has been your experience with them? :confused:

Riverman
05-04-2011, 10:07 PM
We just added a set of JT Strongarm stabilizer bars.
Was a good few hours to install, but well worth it.
They seem to work really well at taking the movement out.

BC1of38
05-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I use Winfield stabilizers. They work very well

Ray LeTourneau
05-04-2011, 10:21 PM
We had the aluminum tripod on our Bighorn and it worked pretty good. I installed a set of JT Stabilizers in the front and they seem to work much better. For a lighter weight rig such as the Greystone, a tripod should be enough to make a noticeable difference. JT's front & rear are probably the best bang for your buck though.

JohnDar
05-04-2011, 10:25 PM
I never got a king pin stabilizer. I installed the Ultra-Fab stabilizer bars (one of several variants of stabilizers) on our BH before ever using it based on the comments I read here before we actually took possession of the trailer. One less heavy piece of hardware to deal with. I think they work just great.

slmayor
05-04-2011, 10:36 PM
I thought ours worked fairly well. That being said, I'd not buy a brand new one. We found one on craigs list for $50 that had only been used a few times.

hoefler
05-05-2011, 07:00 AM
If you have a Trail-Air or similar suspension on your king pin like we do, it will actually make things worse. Go with the strong arms on you jacks and rear stabilizers, better bang for the buck and self storing.

Jimmy
05-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I thought ours worked fairly well. That being said, I'd not buy a brand new one. We found one on craigs list for $50 that had only been used a few times.
Ditto, did the same...

cookie
05-05-2011, 09:10 AM
If you have a Trail-Air or similar suspension on your king pin like we do, it will actually make things worse. Go with the strong arms on you jacks and rear stabilizers, better bang for the buck and self storing.

I respectfully disagree......and agree.
I have a tripod and the Trail-Air pin box. It does not make things worse, it does help.
But I agree that the J.T. type stabilizers would be a better choice.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty
05-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Good wheel chocks and JT's or simular stabilizers are the way to go.

Geodude
05-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Best price I've seen on the JTs is $335 at RV Wholesalers. I just about choked on my Cheerios. Anyone find a better deal? They seem awfully spendy for what they are, even if they do work well and even if I do get another 5% discount for using the Canadian dollar.

For now I will try putting a set of stabilizers mid-ship, as I did with our previous travel trailer, to at least take the bounce out of the trailer.

GOTTOYS
05-05-2011, 05:32 PM
I bought a set of BAL stabilizers from Tweedys for around $60.00 each. You will need 3 sets, 1 for the rear and 2 for the front. They look pretty much like the JTs and work the same way for 1/2 the price. Not much to them. I don't think they need to be that expensive...Don

TravelTiger
05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Noticeable difference in the front -- Rock Solid -- with our SteadyFast system http://www.steadyfast.com/index.html. The back still wiggles a tad. VERY well made (in America). Also like the larger feet.

TandT
05-05-2011, 11:27 PM
I respectfully disagree......and agree.
I have a tripod and the Trail-Air pin box. It does not make things worse, it does help.
But I agree that the J.T. type stabilizers would be a better choice.

Peace
Dave

Ditto. Have both and use them. Don't use the tripod if only setting up for one night. Love the JT's.

jnbhobe
05-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I've had both and the JT's are the only way to go other than Level-up.

Dutch & Di
05-07-2011, 10:10 PM
We too tried the Bi-Pod route and it didn't do much for us. Since we're 38' and have a rear entertainment center we also tried an extra set of arm jacks at the very rear. Helped a bit but nothing took care of our interior movement until we added our permanently mounted stabilizer system. Now, we're happy campers. Diana

ncc1701e
05-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, guys I have to say at this point that I use both a tripod under the hitch pin and have JT Stablizers on all four corners. We are fairly new to fifth wheels camping but I have to say that the Sundance 2800RL is rock solid with this setup. The 2800RL is certainly not a huge trailer, but is very comfortable and stable with this setup. 13096 The tripod came from Camping World.
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Cimriver
05-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I just ordered the Steady Fast stabilizers. Should be on by next weekend. Hopefully they work well. I have read many good reviews on them.

Birchwood
05-09-2011, 05:53 PM
The King Pin stabilizers are probably worth the $150 or so.They help some to take out the rocking
and they work great as a place to lock your bikes.I wish I had purchased an aluminum
tripod as my steel one is rusting.

Rickhansen
05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I use a kingpin tripod. I'd like the stabilizers, but haven't sprung for them. I would continue to use a tripod, for support and stability. The washer-dryer is in the closet and adds weight and vibration when in use.

mmomega
05-09-2011, 09:04 PM
We have a tripod and only used it very few times simply because I never found it to make a significant difference. I say this simply because the front of the trailer was fully supported by the front landing jacks, my thought being the tripod is only 8ft or so ahead of the landing jacks and it was not really supporting anything more. The suspension and wheels have some give and cause a majority of the rocking motion.
Now on that, I agree with all that say the bar stabilizers make a difference because they help decrease the side-to-side motion, this makes more sense to put money in to. The X-Chocks also help quite a bit, this also makes sense because they help reduce a back-to-forth rocking motion.
Also, for those that have the newer RV's with hydraulics, these jacks can raise the tires of of the ground if you want to. I tried this just to mess around, thus removing the suspension from the picture, and you could tell the trailer felt a lot more "planted". Also most no rocking at all other than what you would expect from the long frame flexing a bit. Now I think if I had one more set of stabilizer jacks just forward of the wheels then that would almost eliminate all rocking.

TxCowboy
05-09-2011, 09:11 PM
JD, interesting comments and thanks for posting. I am also considering the X-Chocks for exactly the reasons you suggested.

Just wondering about using the hydraulic leveling jacks to actually unload the wheels, shocks, and springs. Can they really support the entire trailer weight? Is that really a good idea?

(And I like your idea of a third set of leveling and/or stabilizing jacks directly forward to the wheels.)

mmomega
05-09-2011, 09:51 PM
I mean you could lift the tires if you just wanted to, each jack is a 10,000lb jack x 4 jacks and the trailer is about 15,000lb. Now I don't do it when we go camping unless the auto level system happens to lift the tires off the ground during the leveling process, which it has done twice so far. I just did it one day at the house to see if taking the suspension out of the picture made a big difference and it did, I put our aluminum tripod under the kingpin and I couldn't tell it was there personally but some others may be able to tell.
Ours has the 4 hydraulic jacks and a set of electric scissor jack style stabilizers at the very rear, so I'm thinking of trying to add another set just forward of the wheels then it should be a very stable setup. Just to stiffen the center portion of the frame instead of the springs, shocks and wheels trying to do that.
Also saw a post on Facebook from Beletti where his system lifted the tires off the ground about 3" or so while leveling.

Now I do have to post that the manual states not to lift all of the wheels do to it may make the trailer unstable yet I found the opposite. Maybe in high winds this wouldn't be a good idea and like I stated I do not do this when I set up typically just once to "test" how the suspension affects the rocking motion.

TxCowboy
05-10-2011, 06:36 PM
OK, JD. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for responding!

Cimriver
05-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Installed the SteadyFast system last weekend. We haven't been out yet, but they sure seem to make quite a difference. The installation took about three hours. We ran into an issue with the routing of the gas pipe that we had to deal with, but thanks to a heads up from TravelTiger were prepared to deal with it. That probably added half an hour to the install time.

Looks like a very quality product. The owner of the company that sells the product includes his cell phone number for questions that come up during the install. We did call him and had a call back within ten minutes. Amazing service! Also made in the USA.

We will know this weekend how they perform!

TxCowboy
05-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Gordon, thanks for responding. Looking forward to your feedback on the Steadyfast system.