Need help Gelcoat turning Yellow

slb714

Need to give the Cyclone a good cleaning, noticed the gelcoat is turning yellow whats the best method and product to make it look right again??thanks

brianharrison

Not an easy solution, unfortunatelly. Sanding to remove the yellow if it it near the surface sometimes helps - mostly a professional job with specific tools and compounds.

Yellowing in gel coat can be attributed to chemicals in the gel coat process reacting with sunlight UV rays. Boat business struggles with it lots. Here is a link to an explanation and a reference to a couple of products - Topgear and Cleanaboat. http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fi...ng/white-gelcoat-yellowing-problem-27952.html

Good luck.

Take care,
Brian

brianharrison

slb714,

You could try removing any old wax as noted by mc9 as a confirmation step - easy and hopeful but I suspect otherwise.

Take care,
Brian

slb714

I have not waxed it yet since I purchased it, I guess I need to start working on it!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
slb714.... Google "woody wax". Really great fiberglass and gel coat marine products out of Florida. Can buy online.
Really Really good stuff.

Bobby A

I have always been told to NOT use wax that has carnuba oil in it, apparently that is what yellows our coaches. I use a wax by Meguiars called Premium Flagship marine wax. I and many others have said this is the best wax we have ever used.

Willym

I have always been told to NOT use wax that has carnuba oil in it, apparently that is what yellows our coaches. I use a wax by Meguiars called Premium Flagship marine wax. I and many others have said this is the best wax we have ever used.
Carnauba is a wax, not an oil. It is produced from palm leaves and is quite hard ans stays on the surface. I've never heard of it causing yellowing. I've used Carnauba waxes on white trailers for some years and have not seen any yellowing. Several RV/marine waxes contain Carnauba.

Bobby A

Carnauba is a wax, not an oil. It is produced from palm leaves and is quite hard ans stays on the surface. I've never heard of it causing yellowing. I've used Carnauba waxes on white trailers for some years and have not seen any yellowing. Several RV/marine waxes contain Carnauba.

Just what I was told, I ment Carnauba wax not oil, my mistake thanks for catching it. Bottom line is, find a good wax and if you like it, keep useing it. All waxes are not created equal. IMHO , the wax that I mentioned is the best I have ever used, period.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Not that I endorse the product, but this has been one of the most informative articles on Gel-Coat that I have seen yet. Perfect explainations as to why and how things happen and explains the differences between boat & RV fiberglass technology. I didn't know there was a difference. Click HERE.