3055 fridge venting

ChopperBill

Came across a thread on RV.net about refrigerator efficiency and there was a link shown for proper venting. Got to thinking our 3055's set at an angle cant be vented like those. Ours seems to work good so "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but I am curious if a fan would make it work better?

jimtoo

Hi Chopperbill and everybody,

If you look outside, the back of your fridg is vented by a large opening at just above the floor level, about a 12X18 cover. Also if you look on the roof there is a large vent on the roof aprox same size. There is a lot of space behind the fridg on a 3055, and mine does have a fan mounted in the rear area also.

Another thing you might want to check is inside the trailer above the frig and upper cabinets. If you look, the cabinets do not go all the way to the ceiling on a 3055, about a 3 to 4 inch opening. This opening is supposed to be sealed because it opens directly to the back side of the fridg area which is open to the outside. We found this because on ours the small piece of paneling that was supposed to close it off was not attached, nor long enough to do the job and when that side of the trailer was exposed to the cold North wind we got a lot of cold air coming into the trailer. It was just like having a window open and trying to heat the trailer, hard to do. My unit was even red flaged by a quality control person, but was not repaired before it left the plant. It is now at dealer getting repaired, plus a number of other things that are not correct.
BighornRefOpen002.jpg

The light you see under the piece of paneling is from the outside vent.
Jim

tdharley

Just to clarify..... the article that Bill pointed out is right. You do not want TOO much space behind the fridge. Too much space and the air will not draft effeciently to the roof vent. AND if you have a fan it should be mounted high, a close as possible to the roof vent, to create draft.

Your fireplace works the same way in your house or heating chimney. The idea is to create draft, not push out the hot air.

phranc

The 3600 models have the fridge in the slide. The closest diagram is 'bad venting 2'. The fridge is almost as tall as the slide and there is not enough room to vent well. A fan is a must.In my case we have 2 fans (owner installed). I had it back to the dealer for not cooling properly and they were familiar with the problem. They (dealer) moved the thermo switch and used aluminum instead of wood to make the baffle. Made the air flow easier. Now cools properly..This is a issue with any brand of RV with the fridge in slide.
In your case of the 3055 a fan to help move air up the chimney would be a good idea . Maybe with a toggle switch to turn on when needed.