Buying long gun out of state.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am now fulltiming. My ID is from California. I went to a Walmart in Arizona do some shopping. While there I went to the firearms counter to see what they had.
I was interested in a protection shotgun to keep in the rig, as was recommended here some months ago. They didn't have one.
The guy at the counter showed me a placard on the wall saying Walmart and/or Arizona has an agreement not to sell any firearms to residents of about 6 states. (California,Idaho, Florida and a few others).
I can understand this with a registered weapon, but a shotgun or rifle??
I am now in New Mexico.

Does anyone know if this is the case in all states?

I'm on a 3 month trip and won't be back to California for at least that long.
I could have just gone to Big 5 in California and walked out with a shotgun, so it baffles me that I can't do the same in another state, as long it is not a weapon banned in my home state.
Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks Trace

Yellowreef

It is easier for AZ to enter into that agreement with CA than to try and figure out the ridiculous laws that apply to long guns in this crazy state. As you said, AZ has an agreement with six states so you answered your own question as to every state being like that. I'm sure you'll find one that will sell you the shotgun.

sdrubrecht

Sorry Trace, but you can't just walk out in Ca. anymore. You have a 10 day wait no matter what the firearm is, long gun or pistol, still a 10 day wait.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sorry Trace, but you can't just walk out in Ca. anymore. You have a 10 day wait no matter what the firearm is, long gun or pistol, still a 10 day wait.

I am not doubting you. However, about a month ago I was at Big 5 in SoCal and the guy was ready to let me walk out with it. I had some other errands to do and never made it back. Guess I should have.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Trace, Montana has the same thing with Ca. Even owning land their, I can't buy any kind of weapon because I have a Ca. drivers licence. If I need to get one there, My daughter buys it, we go to the court house and she sells it to me with a notorized bill of sale. All nice and legal. The ID check for her is about a 10 minute ordeal. I love the guns stores there, anything you want....they have. Want a 50 cal. pistol...how many to you want. I want a 44.70 Winchester lever action long gun. The only thing they did not have was a "ma deuce" 50 ca.

flamingknitter

I had a problem in Wyoming as a California resident. The gun shop owner said he could sell to me, but he would have to follow all of the California laws....so you can figure out the rest.....no sale. My friend bought a long gun and it took all of a 10 minute phone call, she paid the bill and we left with it. It seems the "when in Rome" rule doesn't work if you are from California.

Sundance_kid

Visit Colorado, when we go out to visit with our son I keep an eye out on the garage sales. I've seen some good deals, cash and carry, but a gun stores won't sell to Ca. If your in Oregon they have the quick check system 10 min. I bought a nice Russian SKS and was out the door in 20 min. 6 years ago......