Hydraulic pump failure

davebennington

When we arrived home from Cherokee I parked the trailer and unhooked the truck, no problem. When I tried to level things everything went bad, major hydraulic problems started to occur. first nothing but clicks coming from the unit. I then hooked up the power cord, I thought maybe the batteries were low on charge. A call to Bob (the hydraulic wizard) at Trailair we determined that the pump was bad so it was escalated to Lipport tech unit. It was there with the help of the tech that I found we not only had a bad motor pump but a bad reversing selector switch also. So with the trailer setting low on the ground I am now waiting for the UPS/FEDX person to roll up with a box full of parts so we can get back to camping again. Hope to getting everything back operating so we can make it to Williamsburg rally.

Dave

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Well that really stinks Dave...hope you get it right. Is it at the farm or your house?

If it is at the farm and you want some help give me a call and we can run up there.

jbeletti

Dave,

Sorry to hear about your equipment failure. Hope you can get it taken care of before the rally.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ugh! Hope it's easy to get the parts in and you can get rolling again soon. Got to make it up to W'burg.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Life is full of surprises, some you would rather not have. Get the Classic back on its feet, and we will see you in Williamsburg. Let me know if I can help in any way.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I can't resist asking...
You thought the batteries were low - and it sure sounded like it. After you reconnected the shore-power cord, did you measure the voltage across the batteries to make sure they were getting power from the converter??

davebennington

Thanks to all I will try to answer with one post.

Larry - we are at the house in VA, and you are welcome to came and help but it would be a long trip for what I believe to be just exchanging parts. ( I hope).

Dick & Gus - That is what I am hoping for just parts replacement.

Eric - Thanks for the offer if you have a spare 50 to 80 grand for a new rig that would work.

Branson4020 - yes I did check the voltage before and after the power cord connection. I was reading 14.30 at the relay switch.

Thanks all for the input, Eric small bills please if you have them handy

Dave

caissiel

That's exactly what a retired farmer told me last winter. On his equipment on the farm the hydralics were the major problems. At our mill the Hydraulics were constent problem.
That's why I love my old antique leveling system that is sure not to fail. In Addition the slides hardly use any pressure to open and close, knock on wood in the past 16 years they have never failed me due to a super heavy unit on the previous trailer. This one I carry a drill and a key to operate the unit manualy with the drill.

Depending on a wimpy solenoid valve is not my cup of tea.

davebennington

Well here it is almost 5PM and no fexups truck rolling into my driveway, so much for Lipport's promises for next day delivery to get you out of trouble!!! I guess nothing will arrive until Monday if then, it is not looking good for us attending the Williamsburg rally. If everything arrives Monday I can get busy and turn a few wrenches get everything mounted and test things out.

Dave

porthole

Retired
Dave, is the trailer down all the way? And if not, can you remove the pump without the trailer coming down completely to the travel limit?

porthole

Retired
I'm guessing there are no check valves that would keep the pressure in the cylinders in the event of a line failure or removal.

caissiel

With Hydraulic flowing both ways the trailer support is on the mercy of the hoses and valves holding the weight and no secondary shut off at the cylinder, anyway a failing cylinder will not hold it neither.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
So glad you received the parts. Whew .... I have been looking all over the house for small bills, even looked under the sofa cushions:rolleyes:. Coming up with 50 to 80 grand in small bills is really difficult. Now if you had just asked for a bank wire transfer, I could have done that within minutes:p. Anyway, now that you have the repair under way to the old "classic", no need to consider a new rig. See you in Williamsburg.:angel:

davebennington

Thanks, Eric I was really hoping you could come up with the cash, Oh well.

Thank all who have responded, yes the parts have arrived and now they have been installed late yesterday. Today is check out day if everything tests OK we will get ready for Williamsburg.

D.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thanks, Eric I was really hoping you could come up with the cash, Oh well.

Thank all who have responded, yes the parts have arrived and now they have been installed late yesterday. Today is check out day if everything tests OK we will get ready for Williamsburg.

D.

And the verdict is.......?