towing mileage D/A sundance 2800rl

duke

Anyone towing a Sundance 2800rls with a 2500HD GMC CC D/A? Was hoping to get a feel for the fuel mileage while towing this configuration. Appreciate any info. Thank You! :)

duke

towing sundance mileage

Hi TimK, I went to teh forum, saw a lot of mileage quotes but didn't see any refering to towing a 2800 RLS Sundance. I might have missed it. I get 15mpg towing my 6000# Jayco and was wondering how much that would change towing a 8200#Sundance. I also get 19mpg around town and 23mpg on the open hwy. Thanks for the feedback.

timk

Duke, Sorry,I didn't intend to point you to Sundance specific info, just general towing info. Sorry for the confusion. Looks like your doing pretty good right now though. I'd trade for your mileage.

ct0218

Duke
I have a couple of friends in our church camping group that have the same truck as mine, pulling similar weights, going to the same locations at the same time, and the mileage varies from 9 to 13 mpg. We're at about 16K plus about 8K for the truck, so you're a good bit lighter. The point is that there are so many variables in tires, tire inflation, speed, headwind/tailwind, steady foot or not, cruise control or not, and driving habits in general that it is almost impossible to determine what a particular driver will see in mpg in a particular truck towing a particular trailer. I believe that all these factors affect mileage to a much greater extent when towing than when driving in general. I can tell you that the mpg drops very quickly when you exceed 2000 rpm's, which puts you at the low to mid 60's mph. I would not go by the truck DIC for mileage numbers, hand calculate full tank to full tank only over substantial distances.

duke

Mileage

Hi Clark, I know what you mean about all the variables. My mileage info came from the records I have kept since I purchased the truck in Aug of 2002. I have a record of every fillup and 97percent of the time I fill right to the edge of the filler rim. I can touch the fuel with my finger. If the truck is to be setting in my garage for awhile I cut it a little short but most of the recordings are very accurate. Anyhow I was just wondering what others might be getting with the same truck pulling 9000lbs. I now pull my TT with a Hensley Hitch and there is absolutly no sway. I don't feel I would gain anything as far as towing goes by going to a 5th wheel. I know everyone that has them really likes the 5th wheel so I thought I would try one. I am not getting any younger. I do like the openness of the 5er inside. Again thanks for the help. Have a GREAT TIME CAMPING. ENJOY! wE LOVE CAMPING.

ct0218

The fifth wheel has a higher profile, so it will probably drop your mileage somewhat, all other factors equal. Enjoy!