Parts and Repair

T

THOBRIASH

Purchased a Heartland MPG model 181 about 4 months ago. The wife and I really like the trailer and are anxious to hit the road with it. Trouble is the darn thing has been at the dealer for the last three weeks performing warranty repair for a leaky back window. The dealer performing the work said it would take three weeks to have a new window delivered. Three weeks? In an era when were one can fly half way around the world in a dozen hours or so, I am being told that it takes THREE weeks to have a window shipped from Elkhart, Indiana to Council Bluffs, Iowa? Amazing! That is is some pretty slow logistics if you ask me. So to sum it all up, right now we are making monthly payments on a trailer that we cannot use and are making storage payments for an empty spot. Hopefully, the wife and I will be able to utilize the camper some time before it is paid off!

Signed,
Not A Happy Camper

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
THOBRIASH, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of you problem, I know it can be a bummer.
I guess I would wonder why the rig was at the dealer for three weeks for a leak and parts are just now on order. As to getting a new window shipped, I don't think Heartland stocks replacement windows. They will have to get one from the manufacturer and then ship to you.
One thing you might try is to call the factory and explain your situation and ask if they can help out by expediting the shipping. It's worth a shot.
Just some thoughts.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Cookie beat me to it again. That guy has pretty fast fingers. I somewhat remember reading discussion of a rear window in the MPG's where some have the window and some don't. This sounds like a situation where cookie says may be exactly the problem. Availability...

I can't imagine something can't be done to at least make the trailer usable. A temporary fix to stop the leak? Heck, I'd even consider some heavy plastic and duct tape if it were mine.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've had similar delays with large parts taking time to get to our dealer. Imagine the cost UPS and FEDEX would charge to handle these?!! Well, they probably wouldn't even handle something that large. ;-) I'm sure that HL has to keep costs down and use the most economical form of transit, which may be waiting until a rig is being hauled your direction for the parts to tag along (was told that for our back panel repair.)

It's painful to wait. I know.... We've been waiting two weeks for parts to get to the dealer to fix our storm damage. I sometimes have to remind myself... Good, fast, cheap: pick two.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Three weeks is quick. We have waited as long as 6 weeks for parts in Elkhart. Be happy with 3 weeks.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
With some luck and a few phone calls you might get the factory to drop-ship it directly to your dealer!

Best Wishes!

Yellowreef

I would call Heartland directly if it were me. I have been strung along by my dealer in the past for WEEKS only to find out the issue hadn't even been submitted to Heartland for approval. Also, like someone else suggested see if they can temporarily seal it so yuou can use it while they get the part or take it back until they get the part and temporarily seal it yourself.

GOTTOYS

Some of the parts do take a long time to get as they must come from the manufacturer. I too would think there's a temporary repair that would fix it right up. A piece of Gorilla tape would sure do the job...Don