ATF: MPG - Missing Wrench For Slide out

kevduf4

I was just at my dealer to repair more of the many problems I've been having with my trailer,and I asked him if he could show me how to operate the slide out manually. He did show me were the nut is to do this but he said it should have come with a wrench which he could not locate. Is there a wrench available and if so how do I get one,and are there more detailed directions on how to operate the slide manually. Thanks for any help. Kevin

pegmikef

I don't know how the slide is on the MPG, but on my old Edge M21 the nut they showed me was under the couch. They didn't say anything about a wrench, but I recall that the nut was 3/4 inch so I always carried a 1/2 inch rachet with a short extension and a deep 3/4 inch socket. I never had to use it. I always carry a little "cheater pipe" in case I need more leverage. On my North Trail, it is a whole different setup and they provided a long wrench (also 3/4 inch) and it is accessed outside from the side. I'm currently looking for a long extension so I can use a socket and 18V drill in case I have to move the slider manually. Here's a link to the Lippert electric slider manual I think pages 6 through 8 are appropriate.

http://www.lci1.com/OwnersManuals/Slideout/10-6-10-ElectricSlideout-Web1.pdf

Last edited:

kevduf4

Thanks for the info, I will check it out. I'm just really frustrated about the lack of info that came with the trailer. The MPG is definitely an entry trailer so they have to assume the buyers will not have much knowledge about these things.

kb0zke

Amen. The night we picked up our 181 we read through (well, skimmed at least) all of the information that came in the owner's packet. The "owner's manual" is mostly useless, with a few useful items tossed in. It reads like it is a generic manual to be used with any and all Heartland products. I think that a good project for this summer would be to prepare a decent owner's manual for a 181.

Yellowreef

In the owner's package for my Edge there was a manual for the slideout which detailed operation including manual mode. If you didn't get that, I would call customer service and ask. Now, if you had to ask your dealer how to do this then you didn't get a very good walkthrough when you picked it up which is a shame. When I did the walkthrough I made it clear that it was my first and they showed me how to operate every item in the trailer, including contingencies.

By the way, there wasn't a wrench. I didn't worry about it as a socket set is pretty much a necessity in the trailer regardless.

kevduf4

I agree it should have been shown to me on the walk thru from the dealer. The dealer did not show me how to do much. That is why I was surprised there was no instuction on how to do this in the manual. I just pray I never have to worry about it. Your right about the socket set however I just heard from the factory that I need a 13mm socket. I only had a standard socket set in my toolbox. Thank you Heartland for at least letting me know what size I need. thanks for your input. Kevin

marc515

OK, so have any of you guys with an MPG figured out how to manually move the slide yet?

Would appreciate any insight before we go on our first trip.

Thank you

Flapwing

I called Heartland... they are always great at getting bacj to my inquires...

½ inch wrench at the end of the motor on the rod will manually crank the room, you may have to remove the kick panel at the bottom of the room from the inside to access.

Thanks,

Ian Roberts
Dealer/Customer Service Representative

marc515

OK MPG owners:

Flapwing says Heartland told him 1/2"

Kevduff4 says Heartland told him 13mm

Heartland told me the following: "The override to manually retract the room in case of emergency is located to the rearward side of the unit at the refrigerator cabinet and behind the false panel that would need to be removed for access if needed to be used. We are told it will take a 5/16 ratchet wrench or socket to retract the room Ryan Prough"

So now we have 3 answers from Heartland; 1/2", 5/16", and 13mm- which is it????

This like Heartland saying the 1-1/2" hitch is good for 110 Lbs, and anothe Heartland Rep saying it's good for 150 Lbs.

I'll tell you one thing, Heartland really needs to work on their customer service.

jimtoo

Hi BriGuy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share when needed.

According to you profile, you have a Sundance, is this correct? If it is please let me know so I can move your question to the correct area.

Jim M

marc515

OK, I checked this out for myself. The manual retractor in my MPG-181 takes a 1/2" wrench/socket. A wratchet type wrench looks like it would work the best.

To get to the manual crank you would need to remove the plywood panel under the refridgeator; it appears to be glued on, so good luck removing it without doing damage. Hope I never have to access it.

I have not seen a wrench in my MPG for it, but at least we now know the correct size.