RV Capitol Service Rating 5 (1 to 5 basis)

khalsey

I got my Landmark Shenandoah back from RV Capitol Service Tuesday. The frame was flexing some in the pinbox area. RV Capitol Service removed the nose cap and lower front fiberglass then Lippert welded in reinforcement plates in several places. They also installed the shorter M15 Trail Air pin box (which I wanted) in place of the longer LO5. RV Capitol Service reinstalled the nose cap and installed new fiberglass on the lower front section. They did some upgrades and repaired some interior trim work and also found a problem with a roller on the bedroom slide that I wasn't aware of which they repaired. I give them a 5 rating and also Landmark and Lippert. Landmark had 5 of the main players there to look over the frame repairs and to make sure I was satified with them(the frame repairs).

Tom of Ypsi

Glad to hear you have a great dealer (wish I would have had one) just shows there are some. I like the way Heartland, Lippert and Capitol RV worked together to get the job done and done right. Shows the commitment Heartland has for its products.
Enjoy and many happy, safe travels.

Gary Steeves

Mr. Halsey, I also have nothing but good things to say about Capitol. Kudos to them !

I am wondering about changing out the pin box. My Mt. Rushmore also has the L05 and when I turn sharply, the rear of the pin box just clears the side rails of the truck (a problem when turning on hills).I would love to go to the M15, but am concerned the coach would be too close to the cab of my short bed and the added weight transfer to the truck with my single rear wheels. Do you have a long bed and duallys ? Other comments on this ??
Thanks, Gary Steeves

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
I had the same problem except it was not my Trailair but the mount that the Trailair was attached that did actually hit my rail. The owner of Trailair assured me that it was not the Trailair. Upon inspection I found that he was right. Someone on this forum (may have been TimK) had made the modification shown in the attached photo and resolve the problem. I clipped the corner of the mounting bracket as shown and I haven't experienced the problem again.

Attachments

• hitch-mod.jpg
    hitch-mod.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 62

khalsey

Mr Steeves, I have a long bed Dodge dually. The hitch is installed about 2 inches ahead of the axle. I didn't take any measurements yet(only towed trailer home from Elkhart since M15 pinbox installed) but will next week when we leave on our two month trip. Wife said rear bumper cleared by only about 5 inches when turning but I think nose cleared cab by much more but will confirm that later. The M15 is 8 3/4 inches shorter than the LO5.
If our plans goes as intended we will be close to your area when we head down to East coast (Charleston SC first).

Last edited:

Gary Steeves

RV Ramblers

Thanks for the picture of the trimmed hitch. What a great idea. I am going to look into that as it should solve my problem.

Thanks, Gary Steeves

timk

Here is a link to some pics of where I shortened my trail-air.

It made a world of difference, in real world usage. Now I don't have to worry about whats going on in the bed, and whats going to hit what. Now, I just have to worry about whats in front of me, and running over curbs.

Another thing I did was to move the hitch 2" forward in the truck, so together its all shortened up 6", now it may be all in my head, but it seems a little more nimble in tight spots.

TimK