Anode Rod, Magnesium or Aluminum ?

jimtoo

I replace my anode rod every year. But last time we were out I noticed a smell and taste in the water. I just pulled the anode rod and it is almost totally gone, not 10% of it is left and the water smelled when it came out of heater. This rod has been in about 8 months and is much worse than the others I have replaced at 1 year. We must have gotten in some really bad water somewhere.

My question is does anyone use the Aluminum rod? Or does everyone stay with the Magnesium rod?

Thanks
Jim M

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Hi Jim... I'm no expert, but I hear that magnesium is better (both functionality and taste). The water heater comes new with magnesium, so that is what I plan to stick with even if they are somewhat harder to find than the aluminum.

hoefler

If it was aluminum, it would be useless because the water heater tank is aluminum also. The magnesium is softer and will erode before the tank.

Rickhansen

I'll 3rd the nomination for magnesium. Be careful of aluminum, they swell as they corrode and may not come out unless fully depleted. This makes them a mess to check or drain the tank.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
If it was aluminum, it would be useless because the water heater tank is aluminum also. The magnesium is softer and will erode before the tank.

Suburban water heaters are steel tanks with a porcelain lining thus the need for anode rods incase a crack incures keeping the tank safe. Atwood tanks are steel with an aluminum lining so most of theres are anode free....

lwmcguir

If you anode isn't lasting very long you most likely have high TDS water. Try to use a better water source. It is normal for the anode to be consumed as it is doing it job. Again magnesium is the best way to go.

brianharrison

In addition to high TDS - Total Disolved Solids, low pH (acidic water) and high pH (alkaline water), or oxygen and dissolved CO2, or high levels of salts or sulfates, or corrosion related bacteria and electrochemical corrosion will eat away more aggressivley on the anode rod.

jimtoo

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think I will stay with the Magnesium. I think I would rather replace 2 rods instead of 1 water heater. Also I have a water softener on board... so that may be affecting it also by having more salt in the water. Softener has been on board about 1 1/2 years now.

Thanks everyone.

Jim M