What are the advantages of a WHD for the MPG?

marc515

We finally got our tow vehicle, a 2011 Pathfinder which has a Towing Capacity of 6,000 Lbs and a hitch weight of 600 Lbs.

I am no where near knowledgeable, and want to ensure we have a safe set up, and I do not fully understand the concept of having a WHD.

If we were to somehow manage to fill the MPG up to it's 3,800 Lb GVWR, the hitch weight at 12% would be 456, and at 15% it would be 570 Lbs which is under the 600 Lb hitch weight limit. From what I'm reading, it looks like the hitch weight for the MPG ranges around 12%.

I can understand if you have a vehicle with 5,000 Lbs or less towing capacity, you would want a WHD as you would more than likely be at or over the hitch weight.

So, what advantages is there to getting a WHD for a tow vehicle like mine or better? Wouldn't sway control be enough?

This is out first camper since we had a small PUP about 10 years ago, so I really appreciate your insight.

Thank you!

irvin56

with the weight you are mentioning, YES all you really need is a sway control. you may be okay without a sway control (can try a trip without) but I for one use them. but my tt's have all been 22 footers and longer.
Irvin

jnbhobe

Don't give this a second thought !!! Go out and buy the best weight distributing hitch with sway control you can afford. You do not ever want to be on the recieving end of a swaying trailer. Enough said for now!!

pegmikef

Don't give this a second thought !!! Go out and buy the best weight distributing hitch with sway control you can afford. You do not ever want to be on the recieving end of a swaying trailer. Enough said for now!!

Absolutely!

hoefler

Check your tow ratings a little closer, you will find to get the maximum rating you will need a weight distributing hitch.

marc515

What are the advantages of a WHD for the MPG- & Which one do you recommend?

OK, you guys convinced me a WHD is the way to go.

So, which WHD do you guys recommend for a small trailer like the MPG?. Also, what weight WHD should I get?

Thank you

jnbhobe

Re: What are the advantages of a WHD for the MPG- & Which one do you recommend?

OK, you guys convinced me a WHD is the way to go.

So, which WHD do you guys recommend for a small trailer like the MPG?. Also, what weight WHD should I get?

Thank you

Go talk to a couple of good established dealers in your area. See what their recomendations are. Then you can shop for what you want. There are a lot of choices out there, I haven't bought one in years. I have a couple of Reese Dual-Cam I used to use.

Yellowreef

Well, I'll again add my vote for no WDH needed for an MPG. A sway bar would do the trick. Look at your numbers, you're fine. I'd like to see proof of this myth that manufacturers intend for you to use a WDH and therefore give you a higher tow rating assuming you will use one.

The concept of a WDH is to equalize the weight by distributing some of it further back onto the trailer away from the hitch connection. A heavy trailer will make the rear of you vehicle sag down and effectively "lift" the front end affecting handling. If you can picture the vehicle and trailer hooked up to each other, they should be at a level line instead of the connection point being lower to the ground (vehicle and trailer line creating a "v" shape.) This is the purpose for a WDH. If you have a tow vehicle with 600 lbs tongue weight capacity, and a trailer with 300 lbs tongue weight I doubt very much that your tow vehicle will sag.

Now, some people are telling you to get a WDH citing possible sway as a reason. You can get a sway control bar to address sway concerns, and this would be a much less expensive option. No need to get a WDH to get only one of its benefits (and not the main one.) Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you not to get a WDH to be cheap. If you needed one then cost would be the least of your concerns. I have an Edge M18 and a tow vehicle with a 5,000lbs limit. I have no problems towing it and my vehicle does not sag at all. The test is simple, hook it up and if your tow vehicle doesnt sag then you're fine.

Some people will tell you to get a WDH regardless of tow vehicle and trailer. It's almost a default answer. You could come in here and ask about your F350 and small teardrop and be told to get a WDH. I say do your own research, look at your own numbers, and do a test run before buying a WDH. Good luck.

hoefler

Check and see if your Pathfinder has an auto leveling system, essentially rear air bags or air shocks. If it does, you will not see the rear of the vehicle sag, but you still will have a light front end. The purpose of a weight distributing hitch is to transfer hitch weight to the front axle of your tow vehicle. The size of the bars are the amount of weight transfer that you can expect, i.e. 500, 750, 1000, 1250, & 1500 pounds. Air bags or air shocks only raise the rear of the tow vehicle, they have no affect on the amount of weight that is on the axles, they can give a false feeling that you are OK, but you still may be overloaded on the rear axle. Short wheel base tow vehicles will benefit the most from an weight distributing hitch, it will keep the front end firmly planted on the road way giving you more control and stop the front end form bobbing as you go down the highway. Look very closely at your owner's manual and the specifications on you receiver that came on you tow vehicle.

Lax27

Your Patherfinder has a wheelbase of 112inches, my mini-van has a wheel base of 121inches, an F-150 with the super crew cab and a short (5.5ft box) has a wheelbase of 139 inches. You'll have plently of power but for stability I think that WDH would make all the difference. The way I understand it basically makes the trailer and vehicle "one". Mine is the round bar type - think it's a Reese.

marc515

Well, I'll again add my vote for no WDH needed for an MPG. A sway bar would do the trick. Look at your numbers, you're fine. I'd like to see proof of this myth that manufacturers intend for you to use a WDH and therefore give you a higher tow rating assuming you will use one.

The concept of a WDH is to equalize the weight by distributing some of it further back onto the trailer away from the hitch connection. A heavy trailer will make the rear of you vehicle sag down and effectively "lift" the front end affecting handling. If you can picture the vehicle and trailer hooked up to each other, they should be at a level line instead of the connection point being lower to the ground (vehicle and trailer line creating a "v" shape.) This is the purpose for a WDH. If you have a tow vehicle with 600 lbs tongue weight capacity, and a trailer with 300 lbs tongue weight I doubt very much that your tow vehicle will sag.

Now, some people are telling you to get a WDH citing possible sway as a reason. You can get a sway control bar to address sway concerns, and this would be a much less expensive option. No need to get a WDH to get only one of its benefits (and not the main one.) Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you not to get a WDH to be cheap. If you needed one then cost would be the least of your concerns. I have an Edge M18 and a tow vehicle with a 5,000lbs limit. I have no problems towing it and my vehicle does not sag at all. The test is simple, hook it up and if your tow vehicle doesnt sag then you're fine.

Some people will tell you to get a WDH regardless of tow vehicle and trailer. It's almost a default answer. You could come in here and ask about your F350 and small teardrop and be told to get a WDH. I say do your own research, look at your own numbers, and do a test run before buying a WDH. Good luck.

OK, well this makes sense to me; I think!

From what you're saying, If I have minimal say with the MPG connected, why would I need a WDH; should only need some type of sway control.

Seems like he decision is split somewhat. However, I do see some folks who are towing at or near their limit, and in those cases, a WDH is really necessary.

hoefler

This is partially correct. A weight distributing hitch takes the weight from the tongue and transfers it to the front axle of the tow vehicle AND the trailer axles! The distance from the hitch to the axles determines exactly how much is transfered. The biggest advantage to you in your situation with your intended tow vehicle would not be so much the weight transfer, but the bobbing you will get going down the road with your short wheel base. Think of your rear axle as the pivot point on a teeter totter. The more weight you haul in the back of your tow vehicle in addition to your tongue weight will cause you to be tail heavy and make your front end bounce as you go down the road making the steering feel light and sluggish. Which will also increase the amount of sway you will get from the trailer. Sway control alone is not the answer and will only mask what is really going on. Take measurements of your tow vehicles bumper heights with out being loaded or hooked to your trailer. Put masking tape on your bumpers on the furthest point forward and rearward, measure your heights on a level surface. Next hook up your rig, load the trailer as if you are going on a week long trip, fuel, water, groceries, clothes, etc.. Also load your tow vehicle as you will for a trip. Drive around the block or so to let the suspensions settle, bring it back to the spot you took your earlier measurements. Now measure your bumper heights again. If your front bumper is any higher than the first measurement, any higher, fraction of an inch, any. You have unloaded your front suspension!! If you still have doubts, go to the scale, and weigh your set up. Any weight lose on your steer axle, any, indicates the necessity for a weight distributing hitch!!

A properly loaded vehicle will have very little sway when towing small trailers. If your front axle is not firmly on the ground, the tail will wag the dog regardless. A sway control device is only a crutch for a Poorly setup or loaded tow rig.

A weight distributing hitch not only deals with tongue weight, it also helps when you load the back of you tow vehicle.
QUOTE]

Last edited: