Leak under frig but not the ice maker! Maybe.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a leak under the 4 door frig. Checked the ice maker line and it appeared dry. Any other ideas? I did blow into the candinsate drain hose and it did not seem plugged. Any ideas will help since I checked the 2 things I could think of. It must be a pretty good leak. It's coming out of under frig and also under the slide outside. Michael

bdb2047

I had what I thought was leak,water was in the drawer under fridge.The drain tubing was not routed outside,it should come out one of holes in bottom vent.Ours was running down inside and water collected in drawer.

irogeo

Did you recently dewinterize? We just experienced a similar problem however my husband realized what the problem was very quickly. The outside hoses were only finger tight and therefore causing the leak. Once he tightened them no more leak. We pulled out the drawer under the frig and put a fan on for few days. All dry now.

cjbearden

Visitor
Pinhole in water line accessed through bottom access door outside. Just happened to us for second time about a week and a half ago. Every time we get water in the drawer under the fridge, we start looking at the water line. J.D. cut out the hole section, joined line back together with a connector and then covered the repair with eternabond tape.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Also, check the connections on the solenoid outside. We had a similar leak in March and one of the lines (ice maker or water in door) was not connected tight to the solenoid.

2psnapod2

Thanks for all the ideas. I will have to investigate more. I only looked at the solenoid valve. It was dry. I will have to track the hose down.

I had to leave it for a day, so I turned the water off. I hope it stops while I'm gone and I will turn the water on again an check it out. Thanks again.

2psnapod2

My leak turned out to be the ice maker hose. it was scraped just as it went up into the flooring of the frig compartment. Behind the pots and pans drawer under the frig. A trip to the hardware store and an hour later all fixed.

jpdoggett

My 2011 Augusta had a leak under the slide out for the kitchen, When we got it to our site and setup when I opened the kitchen slide I had water on the hardwood floor not good, it dripped outside on the ground after the room was out. got looking around under the slide it was the water line that goes to the ice-maker and water in the door. I cut the line and put a plug in it so they could fix it when we left for Kansas I didn't want water on the floor. I hope they fixed it

porthole

Retired
Did yo recently wash the RV and get a little rammy with the water around the outside fridge vent?

That will cause water to leak in our trailer under the fridge.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We have been at Ocean Lakes cg in myrtle Beach,SC since July 1st. A few days after we got here we found water running out from underneath the frige. We have the Dometic NDR 1292 with ice maker. The cold air return for the furnace is under the frige,so I took it off and found the wood was wet underneath the freezer side of the frige.Of course this lead me to believe the line leading to the ice maker had a hole in it.I took off the vent on the outside of the refrigerator and checked the line leading into the solenoid and it was dry,but the wood under the refrigerator/freezer drains was wet.I replaced the zip ties at the T connection and for a day or two it was fine,but on Friday night I found water running out from under the frige again.This time I turned off the water to the ice maker and so far no more leak.I assume there is a line that connects from the solenoid to the ice maker. Does anyone have an idea before I tear into it.I would rather fix it myself but if I need to call a refrigerator repair man to come out I will. Thanks for any help you can give me.

jbeletti

Michael,

Glad you found it and got it fixed. If you can think of a way the factory can better route that line or guard it against abrasion, email me the details. Photos too if you have them.

Terry,

If you checked the solenoid and it's dry all around it, and above it, then it's likely the line from the point where it taps off a main cold water line behind your UDC/utility wall (in your classic) to the solenoid. So not really a refer man job. My guess is that you can probably fix yourself by replacing the line and basically follow the path of the existing line.

Best of luck.

Jim

trdeal

Michael,

Glad you found it and got it fixed. If you can think of a way the factory can better route that line or guard it against abrasion, email me the details. Photos too if you have them.

Terry,

If you checked the solenoid and it's dry all around it, and above it, then it's likely the line from the point where it taps off a main cold water line behind your UDC/utility wall (in your classic) to the solenoid. So not really a refer man job. My guess is that you can probably fix yourself by replacing the line and basically follow the path of the existing line.

Best of luck.

Jim
Thanks JB. I had already checked the line between the solenoid and the main supply line and it is fine. This morning we decided to stay at the camper instead of going down on the beach, so I checked the line between the solenoid and the ice maker.This tube and 2 wires are inside a protective outer tube.This tube was full of water.So I think that the line to the ice maker is my problem.I want to replace the line but I am not sure how to get the old line out.I believe, from what I have seen, that the old line has become brittle from the heat of the frige and age.I believe that I can do it,but I am going to wait till I get home.If anyone has any ideas on how to get the old line out please let me know. Thanks PS I hav seen 3 Cyclones,2 Bighorns,and a couple Sundances while we have been here.

porthole

Retired
Don't forget to check or change out the condensation line too. That hose also dries out and becomes brittle.

trdeal

Thanks for the reminder porthole. I have found out from searching the internet that I may have to pull my fridge out of its cabinet in order to replace this line.There is no way to access the line from the rear at the top where the ice maker is.If anyone knows how I can replace it without pulling the fridge please let me know.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Thanks for the augusta water tip, heres one for you. On one trip I hooked up the city water and then started the sewer etc. all of sudden I see water coming from under the kithcen slide. Right away I think blown hose um the basement so I cut the water abd clean out the storage so I can check the basement. basement is dry. Went inside, water all over the kitchen floor ran to the floor heat duct. Long story short the water faucet opened while in transit. when I turned on the city water we got flooded because the coveres were on the sink. We now travel with a hose bongie on the faucet.

jpdoggett

Thanks JB. I had already checked the line between the solenoid and the main supply line and it is fine. This morning we decided to stay at the camper instead of going down on the beach, so I checked the line between the solenoid and the ice maker.This tube and 2 wires are inside a protective outer tube.This tube was full of water.So I think that the line to the ice maker is my problem.I want to replace the line but I am not sure how to get the old line out.I believe, from what I have seen, that the old line has become brittle from the heat of the frige and age.I believe that I can do it,but I am going to wait till I get home.If anyone has any ideas on how to get the old line out please let me know. Thanks PS I hav seen 3 Cyclones,2 Bighorns,and a couple Sundances while we have been here.
Terry
I have a 2011 Augusta and the minute I got it to my site I started having water dripping out under the kitchen slide looked all over and found the water in the tube of the water line running to the water and ice maker. Could not find a shut off anywhere talked to dearler and factory to no avail so I cut the line and plugged it solved problem but now no water or ice maker. Dealer was to fix it will see when we go back in Oct.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I had the same water leak a while back. Take a short piece of tubing to a supply house and get plenty of this tubing. You should be able to tape your new tubing to the old tubing and pull it through the back of the fridge to where it needs to go. If this don't work, use a piece of copper wire and do the same to it. Tape the tubing to it and work it thru all the holes and pull it thru. Good luck.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Terry, is your fridge in a slide out? Is there an outer vent panel at the top? If you haven't already done it, remove that top vent to see if you can reach' or even see, the ice maker fill tube. You may be able to get to it and not have to pull the fridge. The tube coming up from the solenoid is clamped to a rubber angle piece that is inserted into the rear of the fridge and has a bunch of caulk around it.

BUT FIRST, try trimming the black cover on the tubing far enough back from the solenoid to expose enough good tube and re-attach the tubing to the solenoid. There is a stainless steel tapered insert in the tube. Use some plumbers grease when reattaching. This will help keep the tube from twisting when you tighten up the plastic connector.

You can relocate the mounting of that solenoid to a different location to make up for the tubing you remove. I've had the fridge out twice, it's not a difficult task but a helper makes things much easier. I'll attach a pic or two of the back of the fridge so you can see what your up against.

Attachments

• 100_0653.JPG
    100_0653.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_0666comp..jpg
    100_0666comp..jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_0652..JPG
    100_0652..JPG
    760.1 KB · Views: 21