Almost Ready

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Went out to the storage yard today and dewinterized the BH. Borrowed a 2.5KW generator from the FD and used it to run my 3-gallon air compressor. Pushed the anti-freeze out of the lines with 40 psi air and then used the water pump to draw fresh water from a 6-gallon jerry can to flush them out. Rinsed the inside of the water heater with a pump garden sprayer and reinstalled the anode rod (third season for it). Checked for leaks and found none.

I finally got around to mounting some additional broom handle clips on the ceiling of the baement. Now even my flagpole hangs up there, got a couple of other poles out the way, too.

Played with my Ground Control jacks again, just for fun. That and I wanted to adjust the retainer pins. Those puppies are sweet.

Based on an earlier post about sagging underbelly (the rig, not mine), I dropped part of the front Coroplast. It sags a bit, but is dry as a bone. Only thing I found in there was a large piece of scrap linoleum. Pulled it out for the trash. Other than a bit of wiring, it's a big empty space under the basement floor.

Since I don't have any more need for them, I pulled the two sets of Leveler Blocks out of the basement, along with some other stuff that was just taking up space the last two seasons. And I finally figured out that the collection of metal Shepherd hooks that the wife wants for hanging her hummingbird feeders, et.al., on would survive just fine if they laid on the basement floor and had stuff piled on top of them until we set up camp.

Last thing today was to check the torque on the spring hangers. All good at 65 ft-lbs. and the springs are still looking good. TST system says my tires are all holding 110 psi (I figured out how to turn it on/off without wiping out the memory).

Tomorrow, it's install and flush the new filters in my water filter system and take it out to the rig, along with some of the other stuff I pulled out to be able to install the jacks. And take the new LR telly out to finalize mounting the arm for it on the new panel I installed. Friday, I'll haul our clothes and kitchen stuff (spices, dry goods, etc.) out there and be ready to haul it north on Saturday.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
John - would love to see some pics of how you hang the poles in the basement. What a great idea.

JohnDar

I'll take some photos of the pole hangers this afternoon.

At present, we're not planning on going to the Michigan rally. Or at least not pulling off site to go there. Maybe drive over (about 2 hours) since we've not been in that area for a while.

Gitchurwallet out? Ray, there's been a big swirling vortex over it since the start of the year with all the stuff I've been adding to it and the truck. Still gotta go to the bank and get a stack of crispy Benjamins to pay for the seasonal site.

JohnDar

Gus is right, you just gotta go out and do it. Start simple and work your way up. In high school, I was stuck in the "college prep" curriculum, so no shop classes for me. That was cool, since science was my passion and it eventually led to a career. But now I'm a self-taught woodworker and general household (mine) handyman, along with the firefighter stuff I do. And the science job now pays one of my pensions.

But, as promised, here are some photos of the pole hangers I mentioned earlier. Nothing more than medium sized broom stick clips screwed to the ceiling of the basement. They come four in a blister pack at hardware stores.

View attachment 13109View attachment 13110

Something else I did was to take apart the patio box we bought last season to keep our chairs, games, and junk in while on site. Made it so that I can easily assemble/disassemble by cutting down the plastic retainer tabs and drilling for carriage bolts and wing nuts. Now it all fits easily into the basement for transport/storage. Last season, I had to haul it home separate from the trailer because the light hadn't gone on on how to take it apart. It's not really made to be taken apart, but a man with a crowbar can do wonders. The first photo is from last season, you can see the box under the main awning. The others show the modifications.

View attachment 13111View attachment 13112View attachment 13113
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
John - thanks for the pics. Really like how it pulls everything up and out of the way. Also great idea for a patio box. Have always been concern about loosing chairs during the night but this kind of puts them out of site.