Aluminum Wheels

jpajax

Have owned a many sets of alum. wheel but never had one do this. This one off my camper it is the only one that has done this what is going on.0508111049.jpg0508111048.jpg

GOTTOYS

Just the clear coat coming off. Won't hurt anything. There are places around that refinish them. Runs about $100 bucks a wheel. Check with some of your local new car dealers to find someone that does it...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From here, it looks like filiform corrosion. It can occur when chloride gets under the clear coating on an aluminum wheel due to damage of the coating. It also appears to originate at the same spot on all of the lug openings, namely the sharp edge at the start of the recess. That's where any applied coating will be the thinnest and weakest.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
From here, it looks like filiform corrosion. It can occur when chloride gets under the clear coating on an aluminum wheel due to damage of the coating. It also appears to originate at the same spot on all of the lug openings, namely the sharp edge at the start of the recess. That's where any applied coating will be the thinnest and weakest.
And the use of an impact tool with a little wobble can break that thin coating allowing the discoloration and the start of corrosion.

hoefler

I would look into wheel flex. On sharp tight turns when you are sliding a wheel, it will flex .

jpajax

0508111102.jpgThis is the tire next to it. When you rub or take your finger nail across it you can't feel any chips or cracks. But it could be so small can't feel it. Thanks for the replies will keep eye on it to see if it get worse. Did put another coat of wax on it.

Birchwood

One wheel on my Landmark looks the same.Used a scotch pad and cleaned it some but upon close inspection its still marked.The other three wheels are fine.The marks occurred during the first six months of ownership and I purchased it new.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You might call Tredit about the wheel. They might send you a new one....you never know. I don't have their Ph# but someone might.