Continuing 3055 fresh water tank problem

We have an 06 3055RL. ;) Just got back from a 3 and 1/2 month trip with over 2 months in Mexico. None Traveled with a group (fantasy) and alone. I would fill up the water tank knowing I was going to dry camp the next couple of days. People (in the caravan following me) would see the water spilling out over the course of the day's travel. It was coming out the overflow inside the left side tires of the rv. I would arrive with just over a quarter tank to dry camp and then after a short time the pump would suck air and no water. This happened numerous times. Not an isolated issue.
So after 3 or 4 times of "real dry camping":mad: , I wired shut the overflows during travel and then unwired them when I added water to the tank. It appears the water is being spilled and/or siphoned out everytime during travel (not just now and then). It also appears you generally can't use nearly bottom 1/4 of the tank.
I am having the water tank replaced because of another issue (factory put a screw the tank during installation - that is not where the leak is, as it has a temporary but working fix) but I think the 3055 has a design issue. Can the factory help?:confused:

ChopperBill

Lots of post in the Bighorn topics about putting shut off valves on all the vent lines and keeping them closed while traveling. Word of advise is to look for posts on supporting the tank so it wont fall out when it is full. Most of us boon dockers have the tank not pumping with it having over 20 gallons in it. There are also some post on "shimming up the door side of the tank to make it run the water to the pump pick up side. The tank being as flat as a pancake doesn't help much either. This situation is a real boon dockers nightmare but can be fixed.

Heartland issue

I guess that is my point, why doesn't heartland fix the problem. It has to be universal and merits more of a "class action" approach???

Uncle Rog

oregoner's, I feel you pain here, gone through the whole deal, believe me it is a lot easier to just get it fixed and get on with it. I just spent four days in Furnace Creek and had to dump water on my way out, it was great. Heartland will fix the tank problem for you, find a good shop or you can do it yourself. There are some good posts by Chopperbill, M hamilton, tdharley, loco and myself to name a few....good luck

Thanks for input

I dropped 5th wheel off today at the rv repair place I have had some warantee work done before. He said they (the industry) had this water tank problem some time ago when the flat tanks first came out. They had figured out how to solve it but he hadn't seen it in a while and had to do some checking on the previous fix was. He was surprised it was occurring again. So up to my rv guy and warantee services now. :)

vangoes

oregonrvers
Keep us posted on the tank fix.............still need to take mine in for repairs.

water tank

I asked the repair guy to call when they get things opened and figures the fix. I will try to take some pictures for posting

5erWonk

Oregonrvers,

I too feel your pain...We just returned from a six day trip most of which was full hook-ups, but when it came to dry camping the water tank is a real issue. Don't know if you have also experienced the difficulty with filling the tank where it backs-up at only 1/3 full. Be sure to have your waranty place check the placement of the fill hose, mine was routed low causing an air lock and the back-up.

On the positive side we just completed 3,000mi on our '08 3055 and continue to be impressed with the quality and operation of the rig. The water tank will be fixed.

navyAZ1

I asked our service rep to check and see if the support problem had been addressed in the 2008 models they sent me the e-mail from Heartland stating that there had been metal straps added to help support the 3/4" OSB under the water tank.

Uncle Rog

Chopper, I took a look and I guess the tank issue is not just a HL problem. It is really a shame that the " industry standard" for tank installation / safety is so badly flawed!!! I hate government intervention in almost everything, but it seems with all the ** rules / regulations etc., that are only common sense for most folks, that somebody hasn't established some kind of guidelines for this industry wide situation...I hope nobody has to get hurt before the industry figures it out.....

Tom of Ypsi

I am sitting here in a fairground (SE Mich FCRV rally) and noticed that my fresh water tank is sagging. I have never had that problem, now this is somethng else I have to do before we go on the road fulltime next week, May 10. I agree that the industry needs to police itself better before it goes like the auto industry has, to the foreign makers.

ct0218

We generally carry little water since we seldom stay anywhere without hookups. BUT, when we head out for Alaska next year I think we will be without hookups part of the time so it looks like I may need to work on that this next year. I can't tell if most everyone has a problem with sagging tanks or just a few, those that don't wouldn't respond to the sagging tank threads. Has anyone filled their tank, traveled with it full, and not had a problem? I hate to tear into the bottom assuming I will have a problem so maybe the best route is to fill it and see what happens. I remember my first trailer held little water and I had to carry some five gallon water cans to make it thru a weekend, wouldn't want to have to do that again.

ChopperBill

CT, mine popped out the very first time I tried to fill it. It wasnt even full and the "gauge" was 2/3. We were leaving for 5 days and I could have been arrested for the language I was using mostly because this was a known problem BEFORE I even ordered mine! There are 2 THIN metal straps under the tank just in case the tank would happen to get loose. I wanted to use ours so I jacked up the tank and took a motorcycle tie down and stretched it across the frame for added security. But, no way would I head out to Alaska with out putting some heavy duty brace under there.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I traveled late last year with a full tank and traveled almost 200 miles. I filled it till it came out the fill hole and noticed about an inch bulge in the middle, so I drained some out till the bulge receded. I kind of thought I was beyond the recommended gallons, because I added a lot after the sensors said full. I bought mine last Sept. and was thinking mine should have more bracing than the earlier models, but who knows. I will probably take a look see of the bracing later on anyway, but so far does not look to bad initially. Ken

ct0218

Bill, you're probably right. Nothing like having to do an unexpected makeshift repair on the side of the road, especially if you don't have everything you need with you. How much of the underbelly has to be removed to access the tank?

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
ct0218 said:
Bill, you're probably right. Nothing like having to do an unexpected makeshift repair on the side of the road, especially if you don't have everything you need with you. How much of the underbelly has to be removed to access the tank?
Clark, Have never had any water in mine and do not plan to, but you never know. Last year when Bill Plemmons had my unit doing some other work I mentioned the falling water tank to the service guy. He said that it would fall out if I put water in it. He checked with Heartland and even though the Mt. Rushmore is a 2005 BP repaired it at Heartlands expense. I believe it should be fixed before you head out.

ChopperBill

trdeal said:
Clark, Have never had any water in mine and do not plan to, but you never know. Last year when Bill Plemmons had my unit doing some other work I mentioned the falling water tank to the service guy. He said that it would fall out if I put water in it. He checked with Heartland and even though the Mt. Rushmore is a 2005 BP repaired it at Heartlands expense. I believe it should be fixed before you head out.

Now that is real comforting! :mad:

C

Chulinw

The factory put a post that they have been fixing the fresh water tank problem with 08 models. I see post from people who own the 08 models with the same problem that the older owners have had with the fresh water tank. At times it seems like we are getting mushroom talk as the guys on the ship would "Bull S**T feed to us". I get the feeling that all the people care about is the bottom line of profit.:mad: