ATF: Big Country - Roof reinforcement?

BC1of38

Hi, I am about to begin install on my Winegard Trav'ler satellite tracker. My question is one generated from the winegard manual. I have the dual sat pre wire, and I have located the wires above the bedroom speaker, the manual says consult your manufacturer as you may have a specific location at the roof level that has been reinforced for tracker install.
My question is, do I have that on mine? If so, where? Big Country 3450ts (2012) Or do I just pick a spot and install it?

Thanks!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would install it as close to the wires as possible and at the highest point to center over the wires. As far as I know the roof is plywood sheeting. Use some good short lag bolts and seal them very well.

YaShouldaGotaDiesel

I'd say they should be strong enough, they put a truck on top of one in the ads at Heartlandrvs.com
Not being a smartarse, just what I saw.

B

bwwalczak

There are two possible locations, both are at the top of the crown in the roof. The first is directly behind the front A/C vent (so long as no 2nd air), and the second possible location is just a few feet back, next to the shower dome.

I hope this helps.

BC1of38

There are two possible locations, both are at the top of the crown in the roof. The first is directly behind the front A/C vent (so long as no 2nd air), and the second possible location is just a few feet back, next to the shower dome.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Bryan, glad you chimed in. My Dealer told me to mount near the rear of the trailer, behind the main AC unit (I do not have the second AC unit). I will follow your directions though.

Thanks!

BC1of38

I hope this helps.

Okay, upon closer examination if I mount it near the front I won't have enough clearance due to AC unit, Maxx Air cover and antenna, Winegard's manual states:

"2. The minimum roof space required for the TRAV’LER antenna is 43” L x 24” W.
a. The operational space requires that no obstructions taller than 8 inches be mounted within a 62” diameter circle from the center of the unit."

Bryan, can I mount at the back as my Dealer said?

Thanks for all your help.

Bob&Patty

BC, I'm not Brian, but your issue is why I bought the Wingard Carry out dome. It sits on the ladder while we travel and I can remove it if we get it a wooded area and can't get a signal. It can be placed anywhere you want and still get a signal.

BC1of38

BC, I'm not Brian, but your issue is why I bought the Wingard Carry out dome. It sits on the ladder while we travel and I can remove it if we get it a wooded area and can't get a signal. It can be placed anywhere you want and still get a signal.

I here you Bob, before this I had the Vuqube on my other 5th (and it worked great). In this RV though I have three TVs and Three HD Receivers. The Vuqube and/or Carryout can't give me that flexibility. With the Trav'ler I can have multiple SD/HD programs on different TVs and the same time (Living Room, Bedroom, Outdoor TV in basement). I will get pictures up when I am complete as well as document any roadblocks I run in to during the install.

Neat thing is that I will also have my vuqube with me, if I am blocked with trees, I can place the qube, plug in, do a quick check switch and power at least one of the receivers.

Thanks Again All!

Bob&Patty

Yes you are correct. The carry-out only has 2 outputs. But you put a splitter in one line for the outside TV.

BC1of38

Yes you are correct. The carry-out only has 2 outputs. But you put a splitter in one line for the outside TV.

Great. I am not real familiar with the carryout (just the vuqube). On the cube, it has 2 outputs to but only one lnb. Hence no simeltaneous hd and sd programming (as it needs to aim at multiple satellites at once) I use bell express vu (canadian), if I ran all analog receivers i could run many receivers of that one lnb in the qube just by using SATR34 multiplexers. In my case i want to run hd and sd programming via a multi headed dish to multiple receivers. The trav'ler can actually do that with no external switches needed. It has a built in dish plus pro switch. Also meaning I can use dish plus pro "destackers" at the receiver end and have HD dual tuner PVRs at each location.
I am really excited to get it done now!

If anyone is thinking that three HD PVRs are excessive in an RV, you are correct! But it is awesome......Also Audio Video is the business I am in!

Thanks again for everyone's input, it is all appreciated.

BC1of38

The Winegard Trav'ler is on and functional. Install took about 2 days working on and off on it and waiting for the Dicor to set up. I ended up installing it behind the AC unit, looks good, works great. 3 HD Bell Express Vu receivers installed and operating like a dream.
Signal strength after satellite acquisition was 96%, satellite tracking took about 4 minutes to find and peak signal.

I took no pictures during install as my hands were covered in Dicor and I was cranky after basically having to rewire the RV due to poor factory connections, wires that were mislabeled and wires that were not even connected!! I will get some pictures up of the finished install though.

One piece of advice to anyone doing this install. Order the SKA-008 install plate, although my roof is plenty strong enough, this plate protects the roof from the unit as it stows it self from the rolling of the arm wheel and protects against any chattering while in motion of the dish arm itself against the roof. There have been posts that showed that area becoming worn through from the vibration of the arm. It also makes the install incredibly strong.

All in all I would say the Trav'ler is a top notch unit.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We installed the Traveler in late March...absolutely love this dish! Once it's locked, not even a 50mph wind will affect it....we carry an HD ground-mount dish for those times we can't clear something from the roof. We mounted ours where our old Winegard Move N View was located on the rear of the coach...never been an issue. The roof is quite solid...great to always have an HD signal!