For Landmark buyers, which would you prefer

• I prefer the standard offering of a combo range/oven

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • I'd like to have a range top with a storage cabinet below it

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbeletti

Hi Landmark owners and prospective Landmark owners.

Heartland would like to know if there is interest in offering Landmark with a slide-in range top with storage underneath instead of a range/oven combo?

In the last couple of demo coaches, I've asked Heartland to eliminate the oven and give me storage instead. Each time, they've done a very nice job of installing a range top with a cabinet below it. The cabinet has double doors and a center shelf.

I use the storage space for pots and pans, bakeware and tall bottles of adult beverages.

We bake in our convection/microwave oven. Have done this since 2005.

I know this arrangement will not work for all. I know some have never used the convection feature of their oven. I know others who use their conventional oven a lot.

I've added a poll above that each can weigh in on. Thank you for your feedback!

Jim Beletti

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hi Jim, In the over 3 years we have owned our Landmark GG we have only lit the oven one time and that was just to see if it lit. We have never cooked anything in it and have exclusively used the convection oven for oven cooking. We use the oven to store larger pots so for us the storage space would be a great idea.

2010augusta

Now granted we do ~90% of all the baking in the convection oven, there are just some things that do not cook well in it. The Convection unit will dry out my super moist brownies, and there is no way I can fit a rib roast or a turkey in the convection unit. Also when we have guests over it is nice to have dinner cooking quietly in the gas oven and not have to hear the fan running.

Storage could be a concern in some floor-plans, but with the Augusta we are not fully using all the storage the kitchen has to offer as it is. After all, it was the Augusta floor-plan that we fell in love with and why we bought a Heartland in the first-place.

brianharrison

The oven is seldom used in our RVs, the convection microwave gets most of the use; however I voted for the stove because it is needed for a few items not yet "capable?" of being cooked in the conv. microwave. OR maybe I'm just not yet ready, or know how to cook everything in the conv microwave. Time may solve that problem.

I'm sure glad though Heartland uses the front load washers and not the old wringer type washers - that's where I'm thankful for the newer technology...lol.

Take care,
Brian

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I just had some biscuits that were made in the convection oven. Stella says that as long as she has the microwave/convection oven, she could do without the oven. Guess we'd be out of luck if the power goes out.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you did not have power, you can still cook in the oven. Also not recommended it would also heat with out power if needed. We have plenty storage in the KL and would opt for the oven. Michael and Kelly

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I did not vote because I would like to have the option of either/or. I think this really depends on whether or not you have enough power to use the convection oven and whether or not your food is convection friendly. I think we all feel that if the oven were easier to light we might use it a bit more. That may be another thread/poll.

My 2-cents for now,
Mark

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I did not vote because I would like to have the option of either/or. I think this really depends on whether or not you have enough power to use the convection oven and whether or not your food is convection friendly. I think we all feel that if the oven were easier to light we might use it a bit more. That may be another thread/poll.

My 2-cents for now,
Mark

Mark hit the real issue right on the head!

mmomega

AnyTimer
Personally I'd prefer a range top only with storage. I can count on one hand how many times we've used the oven in the past 5 yrs or so. I have a set of All-Clad d5 cookware I love using at home and I just don't have the storage space in the kitchen to place them if I happened to want a set for the trailer. We almost always cook larger meals outside anyway, hardly use the micro/convection oven except for reheating, popcorn or snacks.

I would have hoped that RV ovens would've progressed as much as the rest of the trailer has over the years. I can remember my grandfather having to get down on his hands and knees to "jumpstart" his oven in his who knows how old travel trailer.

Then again I'm sure somewhere down the road I'd be at a get together and would have to make lasagna for some reason...then I'd be screwed. :)

jgilbert

We use our conventional RV oven only for storage. Baking and broiling are done in our table top convection oven. I would prefer to have a couple of nice storage shelves or drawers instead of the usual oven.

Joe

hoefler

Our 06 is set up with the micro/convection and cook top. It took some getting used to for the wife, mainly because she never used a convection oven before. After I think our 3 rd or 4 th trip, she got the hang of it and doesn't need the user manual any more. I built a second pull out drawer for the cabinet, now she has all the room she needs for her pots, pans, bake wear, and a few other things like a toaster and mixer. To do it over again, i think we would go with the convection/cook top route. We will find out here in a couple of months when the house sells and we move into the Château on wheels.

danemayer

We do use the convection oven but would still prefer to keep the gas oven and would REALLY appreciate it if it were easier to light.

Rushmore kitchen storage is already pretty good. First place to add more storage would be under the island countertop. I understand that the shape of the countertop doesn't match the whiskey barrel shape, but perhaps the Landmark designers could come up with another approach to use that wasted space.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
My wife also wants an oven how many utinsels do you need in a kitchen?. We use the oven all the time in our bighorn. Years ago we were looking at motorhomes, some of them didn't have ovens which turned my wife away keep it.

I love them both, but would not want to be without either. A lot of RVers avoid cooking. We eat in and have guests over frequently. More than once a guest to our place has commented that they wish THEY had a REAL oven. If you need more storage in a Grand Canyon, you have too much stuff.

shelsay

Put me down for keeping the oven--though I agree the best option is to give purchasers a choice of which configuration they prefer. I also agree that lighting the oven is a problem. I'm rather small, and it is difficult for me to scrunch up between the peninsula and the oven in our Grand Canyon and try to get my head in the proper position to see the pilot while holding in the knob. It must be really a pain for someone larger.

jdraizor

When I ordered my San Antonio earlier this year I asked for just a sealed burner cooktop with no oven and storage in the oven's place. I did this because I had a dishwasher installed in place of some of the other kitchen storage and still wanted good pot and pan storage. I love the set up so far. I don't miss the oven at all and I live in the fifth wheel full time. As far as making it standard, I think it should remain up to the buyer to decide how they would like their kitchen set up.