An Alternative Idea for Toy Haulers

PUG

Pug
I purchased a 3950 three years ago and it generally served me well. I had the usual problems with the front landing gear (replaced with dual motor system) but overall it was pretty good for maintenance. We winter in Tucson from Idaho. We hauled one year a street bike and two dirt bikes. The next year one dirt bike and a street bike. This year a four wheeler ATV. The garage worked fine and the extra beds, washing machine, and addl bath came in handy. We suffered with a small living room kitchen all though.

Wanting more room we saw a new 3950 that did have a bigger slide making the living area nicer but still not enough. At the same RV show we saw a Carriage with a full slide wall. Wow. Also checked out the other Heartlands, Montanas, and about a half dozen more.

In the Carriage literature I noticed an option for a rear trl hitch. Some other manufactuers also say you can put a hitch on the back. I did a ton of research on total combined lengths and found most states you can pull a (triple) with different lengths in different states. I opted for a 4 x 8 trl (total length 12'). This with the 37 ft RV and pickup put me at 65 ft which is the max for the states we run in. So we now have a beautiful trl with comfort that is great, very well built, very well thought out (Carriage Cameo) and the ability to still pull a couple of dirt bikes or our ATV (660 Yamaha Grizzly). Best of both worlds. I put on a TST tire sensor system that monitors all pickup tires, trl tires and the little trl tires that helps with the blood presssure.

If you are a young family with a handful of kids, the new Heartland 3950 is a nice way to go. It is a fair weather trl that will serve your needs. If you are a little older but still young at heart a regular trl with the comforts of home and a pup trl might be a better choice.

ankie3467

We have a Elk Ridge 27rls, and we pull doubles as well. We have 3 atv's that we haul around. Works perfect for us. We like to drop the trailer and then go somewhere else with the 4 wheelers.

gpshemi

I've done it both ways, but so far I prefer the all in one solution 3612. It's just easier to deal with. At some point I could see where I might want it the other way around though you're right.

steiny93

I'm at the other end of the spectrum

Currently running a regular 5er which we often double tow either a boat or atv trailer behind and switching to a 3950.

The rational for the switch
- want the 2nd bathroom accessable when dirty (dragging dirt / dust through the rig is very annoying)
- want an outside but inside place to chill out when its hot / raining / bugs (going to leverage the garage for this)
- want the loft (we have a 7 year old; getting their own place is going to be nice)
- 2nd fridge; that will be awesome; I'm so sick of getting ice for the coolers

We will definately miss being able to double tow the boat; but for those trips we can take 2 trucks.
We will likely not enjoy being locked into 1 location when the atv's are in the toy hauler (now we often drop the 5er then trailer the atv's around).

trvlrerik

I saw a big Cyclone with full throttle paint pulling a quad on a trailer on I-70 in western Kansas today. I thought to myself you are a better man than I am.

robnmo

We looked into this also, if memory serves me right I think somewhere around 28 States allow the "triple tow", our problem is the southern states we will frequent don't allow triple tow, and also our 3612 is working well for us. Been watching it get loaded all day, I never knew a 2800 sq ft house could get packed into a 400 sq ft trailer and we haven't even started on the cargo hold or spare lumber for cat trees when we get to Florida.