What is good WDH for the MPG??

marc515

OK, I'm now convinced a WDH is necessary; question is which one is best for the MPG

Our Tow vehicle is a 2011 Pathfinder which has a Towing Capacity of 6,000 Lbs and a hitch weight of 600 Lbs.

Even if we were to somehow manage to fill the MPG up to it's 3,800 Lb GVWR, the hitch weight at 12% would be 456, and at 15% it would be 570 Lbs which is under the 600 Lb hitch weight limit. From what I'm reading, it looks like the hitch weight for the MPG ranges around 12%.

I am no where near knowledgeable, as this is out first camper since we had a small PUP about 10 years ago, and I want to ensure we have a safe set up.

Would greatly appreciate any insight you guys can provide as to which WDH will do the job at a reasonable cost.

Thank you!

kb0zke

When we bought our 181 in December the dealer made us a package deal which included an Equal-i-zer WDH and the brake controller, both installed. The Mountaineer already had a tow package on it, so it was a pretty straight-forward job for them. I believe the list price for the hitch was around $700. Since ours was a package deal, I can't really say what we paid for each component.

pegmikef

I don't know a whole lot about them, but I know the one the original dealer installed on my F150 for my Edge M21 (less than 5000 pounds) worked very well and now works well on my F250 and North Trail 26LRSS. It is an EAZ-Lift 14000 pound hitch with 10000 pound torsion bars. I recall that he sold it to me for his cost and it was around 200 bucks. I'll see if I can find the site. Ok, I found the site.

http://www.eaz-lift.com/eazlift/pro/pro_elite.html

Note that in selecting the hitch you might want to get a heavier one in case you get a heavier trailer in the future. The one I have is the Elite 48054 and this is the only one I have any experience with. I would suggest getting one that has an adjustable shank because I had to adjust mine when I changed trailers and again when I changed tow vehicles. If you dig around on the site, they have a hitch selection guide.

Last edited: