Another Beautiful Weekend at Fort Desoto

floridarandy

Just returned from 5 days/4 nites on the water at Fort Desoto. More here. After more careful observation I'd say the majority of the sites on the waterfront loop are plenty big for 5vers of 40'. Sites look narrow at road but widen out back against the water, as you'll see in our pics, so slides and awnings are no problem. We're hoping to get back in November.

Happy campfires to all.

Randy and Karen

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
Randy and Karen;

Looks like you guys had a great spot and had great weather. We'll have to get over there soon.
Did you see our October event in Brunswick? Hope you can make it. Also while I'm at it would you be interested in putting together a list of must go campsites with possibility of 40 ft 5ers, so we can get a monthly schedule going for rest of year or for sure next year. I'm in planning stages for 2012. You could be the test group for the campgrounds:)
Lastly there are some spots left in Goshen!

floridarandy

Randy and Karen;

Looks like you guys had a great spot and had great weather. We'll have to get over there soon.
Did you see our October event in Brunswick? Hope you can make it. Also while I'm at it would you be interested in putting together a list of must go campsites with possibility of 40 ft 5ers, so we can get a monthly schedule going for rest of year or for sure next year. I'm in planning stages for 2012. You could be the test group for the campgrounds:)
Lastly there are some spots left in Goshen!

Mickey & Bonnie -

Keep an eye on our blog as its the best place to get the most detail and pics on our trips. So far there would be no problem with 40 footers at:

1. Disney
2. Hillsborough River State Park (water and electric only)
3. Fort Desoto (water and electric only)
4. Sun n Fun
5. Myakka River State Park (new big rig sites w/ full hookups)

We'll let you know next month about Anastasia State Park (St. Augustine) and Oleno State Park (north of Gainesville)

Although I'm sure others will offer suggestions, our preference is for parks over campgrounds because:

1. Typically more shade and natural beauty;
2. Typically more places to walk, bike and hike outside the area where the campsites are located
3. Often large pavilions to host get-togethers/pot lucks

Although most have 50 amp electric and water, sewers are the exception. So far we've not filled the tanks on 3-5 day trips, although we are mindful not to waste space.

I think the key with putting a calendar together is advance time. Obviously some of the nicest camping weather in FLorida is also the time most of the snowbirds flock in to use up our sites :). That leaves the "shoulder season" and the summer. Lead times are "as long as possible", but some limit how long in advance you can reserve. Fort Desoto, for example, limits advance reservations to no more than 6 months in advance. We typically schedule trips like this a year in advance and flag the calendar for the 6 month in advance windows. Given the beautiful weather this past weekend there would mean that to camp in May 2012 you'd make reservations in November 2011. We're looking at making reservations now (May 2011) for this coming November 2011, for example.

State Parks are usually at least 3 or 4 months in advance in order to get enough sites close to each other.

Unfortunately we've had reservations for several months to spend 2 weeks at Unicoi State Park in northern Georgia the last 10 days of October and the first 4 days of November....trying to hit peak color season. That means its unlikely we'll be able to hit Georgia for 3 days 2 weeks before :(. We love the Rally concept but really like to spend more days somewhere that takes us 10 hours to reach!

Goshen is still a retirement dream for us due to the distance. But the great thing about this site is that we live vicariously even when we can't attend!

How about joining us in November at Fort Desoto?

Randy and Karen

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
Randy;
If your serious about Desoto let me know. We would love to join you. We haven't been there and have heard a lot about it. We thought it was small. A friend of mine years ago complained about it, so we haven't been. It looks like he was wrong! We love sunrises and sunsets. I started a portfolio a couple of years ago of Sunrises and Sunsets in Florida. May finsih it one day. I have a lot of photo projects to get completed. Just need more time!
We have been to Sun and Fun, was there in Spring before snowbirds left. Like the place, lots of activities, park wasn't too scenic but OK. Myakka State Park was very scenic, went there while at Sun and Fun one day, saw lots of wildlife, don't remember what the campground was like. Great to hear full hookups. I don't care about sewer, we never fill the tanks either on 4 day trip. Your right about October, leaf peeper month. I have been trying to get back to Blueridge for years to do some photo work there. I have to make that happen. Bucket list # 17. I'm looking forward to Topsail Hill even in August. I had someone tell me "no body camps in Florida during the summer." Well if your tied down to work and can't get way for long periods, then you camp in Florida:). We are going to Disney for Memorial Day weekend taking Son and Grandson. He will have a blast there; we like it too. Pricey on holidays but like Lazydays, the perks are worth it.

Curious as to which site you had. We have site 214 for Sunday 5/15 – Friday 5/19, which will be our first trip to this campground. Several of our friends have told us about this CG and are really looking forward to this trip.

floridarandy

Curious as to which site you had. We have site 214 for Sunday 5/15 – Friday 5/19, which will be our first trip to this campground. Several of our friends have told us about this CG and are really looking forward to this trip.

Larry & Jackie - we stayed in 218 this trip but have been in most of the sites along that edge along the water. Can't remember 214 specifically but you'll love camping there. A couple of suggestions:

1. Walk or bike all the loops - Although Loop 1 (sites 1-85) are tents and popups the sites and area is beautiful! Area 2 (sites 86-164 is the "pet area" but there are some really fantastic sites along the water here too!

2. Be sure to take your bikes, or you can rent them done next to the fort. The biking here is great. We take ours from the campsite all the way to the end of the north beach several times during each stay. Take a towel and ride out to the beach for a swim. When we were there last weekend the water was great. Try all the beaches along mullet key, they're all beautiful...and especially nice at sunset!

3. Be sure to check out the Bay and Gulf piers. If you fish you can buy bait there, if not its fun to watch the fisherman who are there 24x7. The piers are also great to watch the ship traffic that frequents the the passage from the Gulf into Tampa Bay.

4. Take the ferry from the Bay Pier out to Egmont Key and explore the fort ruins there and lighthouse

5. You can rent binocs and get info on birdwatching at the park headquarters by the big flagpole just as you get on to mullet key. You can also rent kayaks and this is a great area for kayaking!

6. Ride out to East Beach...great view of the skyway bridge and on windy days on the weekend a spot where the kite boarders gather

7. Closest Publix lis at the intersection of I275 and 682 where you get off to go to the park.

8. Head over to the Don Cesar, and have a cocktail at the pool bar at this famous old hote. Continue south from the Don Cesar to historic Pass-A-Grill. Great seafood at Sea Critters and the Wharf restaurant. Another great spot for drinks is the Hurricane on the Gulf side near the end.

9. Lots to do in St Pete too if you have the time.

Needless to say, a fun place to stay. We go as often as we can!

Randy and Karen

BY THE WAY - We're heading up your way in June for our first stay at Anastasia State Park. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Wow! We need to follow you in your travels so that we can get such a great itinerary for “things to do and see”, thanks so much for the information. We always take our bikes evrywhere we go, so we are looking forward to our first trip to Fort DeSoto.

I saw in your blog that you were going to be at Anastasia SP in mid-June. So close to home yet we've never stayed there. June 11-23 we are taking our four grand kids to North Carolina , so we won't be able to run by the SP and meet you folks.

St. Augustine has so many good places to eat, but my favorite for seafood is a little restaurant on the south side of Anastasia Blvd before you cross the Bridge of Lions going into downtown St. Augustine called O'Steens. If you go for lunch 11:30-1:30 is the busiest time and for dinner plan to be there early as they close at 8:00PM. And if you venture over to Vilano Beach, were we live which is north of St. Augustine on A1A, try Cap's. Very busy on the weekends but has riverside dining out on the deck over looking the ICW.

You will enjoy the beaches across form the SP, don't forget to visit the Fort and downtown has a lot of historic sites.

Safe travels and thanks again for the great info on Fort DeSoto.

floridarandy

Wow! We need to follow you in your travels so that we can get such a great itinerary for “things to do and see”, thanks so much for the information. We always take our bikes evrywhere we go, so we are looking forward to our first trip to Fort DeSoto.

I saw in your blog that you were going to be at Anastasia SP in mid-June. So close to home yet we've never stayed there. June 11-23 we are taking our four grand kids to North Carolina , so we won't be able to run by the SP and meet you folks.

St. Augustine has so many good places to eat, but my favorite for seafood is a little restaurant on the south side of Anastasia Blvd before you cross the Bridge of Lions going into downtown St. Augustine called O'Steens. If you go for lunch 11:30-1:30 is the busiest time and for dinner plan to be there early as they close at 8:00PM. And if you venture over to Vilano Beach, were we live which is north of St. Augustine on A1A, try Cap's. Very busy on the weekends but has riverside dining out on the deck over looking the ICW.

You will enjoy the beaches across form the SP, don't forget to visit the Fort and downtown has a lot of historic sites.

Safe travels and thanks again for the great info on Fort DeSoto.

ha...no problem. be sure to let us know of your experience....that's how we all learn.