Aerodynamic?

Lax27

Does anyone with experience towing more traditional travel trailers think the MPG is less aerodynamic and therefore tows "heavier" than a comparably weighted (or heavier) traditional travel trailer?

I stumbled upon an R-Pod forum talking about 1) how these particular campers aren't very aerodynamic (I guess as compared to a typical TT design), and 2) how the R-Pod actually has a vacuum off the rear that seriously creates inefficient towing above the 50mph and up range. Someone on the forum actually did an aerodynamic analysis with some software. In addition a comment was made that these things aren't really that heavy and should tow much better (actually the thread was related to what owners thought was unusually poor fuel mileage while towing). Thoughts?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm not an aerodynamic engineer, but I can tell you this. It's a square box with a curved front end. No matter what it weighs, it will cause gas mileage to go down. Fuel mileage will depend on the TV and engine size. Smaller the engine...the more fuel it will use to pull weight. Thats just the way it is.

BTW, all things that move through the air create a vacumn at the rear. The laws of physics. Sometimes a "spoiler" on the roof at the rear and "spoilers" on the rear sides will stop this. Even a bullet creates a vacumn when fired. It's called a low pressure zone. JMHO