Sharp Flat Screen Starting to Fail

rebootsemi

Our Sharp flat screen in the Sundance is starting to go south, we now have a 3" plain white strip down the right side of the screen from top to bottom. Of course I think the tv is out of warranty, been over a year since new. Have to wait until we get home to see what's up. Anybody have one that did this??
Probably caused by the great Calif I-5 hwy. That piece of crap road south out of Sacramento is so rough you have to run the fast lane, the trucks won't even run the right lane.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not quite the same issue but we have a 5 year old Vizio 32" LCD that has developed a shaded area in the upper right quadrant of the screen. It's not too bad depending on what we're watching.
I haven't heard of any other owners reporting these type of problems though. I'm sure the bouncing around our rigs do on these wonderful roads desn't help much.
I've been wondering if the LED/LCD might take more abuse. I have to wait till Lin starts getting her SS checks later this year to buy one though.:eek:

rebootsemi

We have LCD's in the house and have never had one do anything like this one. I suppose I'll get in touch with Sharp and see what their service dept has to say. Too bad we didn't get it at Costco as it would be on the way back there. I read some of the warranty and the fine print so we can forget that.
Here's a pic, check the right side of the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 41

Ray LeTourneau

I have to say, I've never seen anything like that. I assume it's on all channels? What about when viewing a DVD? Through a different input?

rebootsemi

From what I understand these LCD screens are not just one big panel, it is made up of smaller panels, this looks like it just lost one panel. When we get back to the house I'll get serious about seeing what going on. We had one that I had to replace a power board in, this might be a board issue???

Bobby A

Not quite the same issue but we have a 5 year old Vizio 32" LCD that has developed a shaded area in the upper right quadrant of the screen. It's not too bad depending on what we're watching.
I haven't heard of any other owners reporting these type of problems though. I'm sure the bouncing around our rigs do on these wonderful roads desn't help much.
I've been wondering if the LED/LCD might take more abuse. I have to wait till Lin starts getting her SS checks later this year to buy one though.:eek:

HI Ray,
I posted something a couple month back that my Samsung is doing the exact same thing you described. When it happens I turn the TV off and unplug it for a few minutes, than plug it back in and turn it on and the shaded area goes away for a week or so. When the shaded area appears again I repeat the process.
Bobby

Ray LeTourneau

HI Ray,
I posted something a couple month back that my Samsung is doing the exact same thing you described. When it happens I turn the TV off and unplug it for a few minutes, than plug it back in and turn it on and the shaded area goes away for a week or so. When the shaded area appears again I repeat the process.
Bobby
Yeah, I noticed that too. When we travel and arrive at a new site, it seems better but shading doesn't take long to return. I thought heat may have been a factor so I installed a vent in the entertainment area. Probably too late but...
I'm hoping to replace the Vizio with another but it will be an LED/LCD. The LED units don't get near as hot as the units of a few years ago. I bought a 42" LED for the house and it's great.

Bobby A

Yeah, I noticed that too. When we travel and arrive at a new site, it seems better but shading doesn't take long to return. I thought heat may have been a factor so I installed a vent in the entertainment area. Probably too late but...
I'm hoping to replace the Vizio with another but it will be an LED/LCD. The LED units don't get near as hot as the units of a few years ago. I bought a 42" LED for the house and it's great.

Yea, I will go with the LED also when this one dies, also with the LED I can get a 42 inch TV in the area where the factory 32 inch is, because the footprint is smaller, BONUS !!

ParkIt

I'm wondering if the bouncing down the road is re-setting the memory - has anyone tried the on screen menu to go from box to widescreen (or 16:1) and see if that fixes it? Our old flat screen at home will sometimes reset on its own and I have to go to menu and fix it. Still have no idea why it does that.

While I'm thinking the dealer put an upgrade in the RE before delivery (46" Toshiba LCD) I'm replacing it next week with the 46" Sharp Quattron (it doesn't come in a 50" but wish it did), gotta love Dad's & Grad's sales. One thing for sure is putting it on a swing out adjustable arm with a shock absorbency plate, it would probably be toast in a short time if it doesn't have something to absorb the jostling down the road. That and no matter how much heat it generates as they all will, being able to have it out from the wall will keep it cooler.

Yea, I will go with the LED also when this one dies, also with the LED I can get a 42 inch TV in the area where the factory 32 inch is, because the footprint is smaller, BONUS !!
If you can hang on until October the edgeless ones will be flooding the market - smaller footprint, no edge, FULL viewing. Bedroom is going to have my 21" LED monitor there until the black friday sale hits for a 32", it has the cabinets on either side so a 32" is the largest we can put in there ;)