PDA

View Full Version : Hard wired surge guard

Tom of Ypsi
04-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I posted this in the Landmark section with no results so I will try here. Has anyone installed a hard wired surge protector in their coach and if so where did you mount it? I thought this was going to be a piece of cake but it looks like I will have to take off some of the underbelly to trace where the 50 amp wires go to. I was hoping to install just before the converter but now I do not know. Anyone with any suggestions? I want to make this as simple as possible, cold weather coming back again 30's for highs and I have to do my water tank support, have a big garage sale and be out of the house by May ll. House just sold in 24 days for $900 under what we were asking for.

jpmorgan37
04-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Tom;
Check this thread. Jim had his mounted next to the Battery compartment. I looked at my GC and it looks like a fairly simple install (for a young and agile person). I don't know if your Mt R is set up the same. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=704&highlight=surge+protector Check post 9 or 10.
John

ct0218
04-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Tom, your Mt Rushmore must be laid out a little differently in the basement than mine. My incoming service runs straight to the two circuit/overload breakers behind the sliding panel in the basement. They are in a 4 in sq electrical box next to the converter. Then from there to the breaker panel. I have thought about putting in a surge protector there ILO the two breakers that I keep tripping out. Not sure why they trip so often, they apparently trip long before the breakers in the panel do. I put in an autoformer at the same location, but really think I should have a surge protector in line prior to it. How is yours laid out?

Tom of Ypsi
04-02-2007, 09:35 PM
John,
Thanks for the info. This has helped a little for now and I would think that all Landmarks are pretty much the same as far as your incoming electrical and where it goes. BTW I bought the surge protector from E-bay, the one you pointed out for $195, box was marked $548. Thanks.

CT0218,
I have been looking a solid wire just like the 50A cord not some plastic wrapped cord that I am looking at. I think that is most of my problem.

trdeal
04-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Tom, your Mt Rushmore must be laid out a little differently in the basement than mine. My incoming service runs straight to the two circuit/overload breakers behind the sliding panel in the basement. They are in a 4 in sq electrical box next to the converter. Then from there to the breaker panel. I have thought about putting in a surge protector there ILO the two breakers that I keep tripping out. Not sure why they trip so often, they apparently trip long before the breakers in the panel do. I put in an autoformer at the same location, but really think I should have a surge protector in line prior to it. How is yours laid out? Clark, I also have the autoformer, but it is not hard wired. Did you do the job yourself? If so could you give me some details on how you did it? Thanks