Which Brake Controller?

marc515

I'm thinking a Prodigy 2 may be a good one, and not sure what the difference is between the Prodigy 2 and Prodigy 3.

Suggestions and recommendations appreciated.

Thank you

jimtoo

I second the Max Brake... nothing better, reads directly from the brake line pressure to know how much to apply the trailer brake.

Jim M

olcoon

marc515
I've got a Prodigy 3 I'd like to get rid of. Had it on my last truck & when I bought a new one the brake controller was built in & I don't need it anymore. I've used it for about 3400 miles. If interested you can send me PM.

Yellowreef

Since this is the MPG section, I am going to assume you are towing an MPG. The MPG only has one axle with electric brakes. You would do fine with a Tekonsha Primus IQ or for $30 or so more upgrade to the Prodigy P2. The difference is that the IQ only does up to three axles with brakes and the P2 does 4, either one is more than sufficient by more than double. The P3 and Brakerite have the capacity to do electric over hydraulic systems, you'd be spending a lot more money for a capacity you wold never use with the MPG. It's like asking which hammer works best for putting a picture hanging nail in drywall and someone telling you that a 20 lb sledgehammer is the best thing ever. It might be the best ever for certain applications, but overkill for what you want to do.

I suspect that all these threads run together under "new posts" and some people forget that not everyone is hauling a 16,000 lb behemoth with 4 axles. Some of us pull small light trailers and couldn't use 3/4 of the features in the $300 controllers even if we wanted to.

jimtoo

Since this is the MPG section, I am going to assume you are towing an MPG. The MPG only has one axle with electric brakes. You would do fine with a Tekonsha Primus IQ or for $30 or so more upgrade to the Prodigy P2. The difference is that the IQ only does up to three axles with brakes and the P2 does 4, either one is more than sufficient by more than double. The P3 and Brakerite have the capacity to do electric over hydraulic systems, you'd be spending a lot more money for a capacity you wold never use with the MPG. It's like asking which hammer works best for putting a picture hanging nail in drywall and someone telling you that a 20 lb sledgehammer is the best thing ever. It might be the best ever for certain applications, but overkill for what you want to do.

I suspect that all these threads run together under "new posts" and some people forget that not everyone is hauling a 16,000 lb behemoth with 4 axles. Some of us pull small light trailers and couldn't use 3/4 of the features in the $300 controllers even if we wanted to.

The Max Brake is expensive, but it is the only one you will ever need to buy. It is tied into the hydraulic part of the brake system of the tow vehicle. A simple adjustment once it is installed and it does not matter if you have one axle or 4 axles... it will work great.

Yellowreef

The Max Brake is expensive, but it is the only one you will ever need to buy. It is tied into the hydraulic part of the brake system of the tow vehicle. A simple adjustment once it is installed and it does not matter if you have one axle or 4 axles... it will work great.

I get how good it is. But by explaining the difference between all of them, he can make a more informed decision. Tying into the hydraulics of the tow vehicle is yet another factor to consider. I know I wouldn't want to do that as it is expressly stated in my vehicle manual as someting not to do if I want to keep my warranty. There would also be a more involved and expensive installation than a plug and play controller.

I also believe there is such a thing as entry level, middle of the pack and top of the line for all kinds of things. That goes for quality but it also goes for features. I always like going with good quality plus the features I need. I personally don't buy things with features I don't need, especially if they are going to cost more than double or even triple. I figure by the time I get a fifth wheel (years from now) there will be a much nicer and better controller to be had. It is with this in mind that I gave my opinion, I know not everyone thinks the same way but at least it gives another point of view.

tmcran

Go with Maxbrake

Good point. I use the Maxbrake on flat bed,cattle trailer and RV.Once the Maxbrake is set I can change trailers and never adjust the controller as it is truly proportional.

brianharrison

I think this is a good answer to the original posters question. The choice of brake controller should be matched to the towing requirements - both trailer and tow vehicle.

Purchasing a high end, high dollar brake controller to tow a small electric brake trailer with a small tow unit (ie half ton) may not be required.

Dutch & Di

We agree. The MaxBrake is the way to go. We've been using ours for over 3 years and couldn't be more satisfied. Diana