Receiver Hitch for the back of a 5er

bigdob24

I have a Sundance RK 265 and would like to put a receiver hitch on the back to pull either a 16' boat or a cargo trailer, both under 2K .
Has anyone done this ?
I plan on having a welding shop do the work.
Any info on triple towing do's and don'ts , I realize some states don't allow it.
I would be interested in knowing the easiest way to handle the wiring , and if anyone uses a camera to monitor the towed vehicle?
Thanks
Dan

MC9

I have done all of the above. Your warrantee will be up in a year anyway, so it's not a factor (to me). On my last SOB the frame was visible, so I welded a 3X4 angle iron between the frames and welded a long piece of receiver tube to it and tacked it also to the square tube bumper. Towed anything I wanted up to and including my Honda CRV. I have been in most states with this set-up. I was 65 ft long. Attached the portable taillights to the Honda and to the visible taillight wires on the RV. (with a car on behind you can't back-up so keep that in consideration), A trailer is not the same problem.This year I clamped a receiver to the square tube and towed a small trailer with a golf cart home from AZ. Obviously as a welder I determined the welds on my rv were pretty well done. Have to keep the tongue weight down though. I also mounted a cheap (49.00) camera system. That worked very well. I had more trouble with signal interference between the camera,GPS,TPMS and whatever else I had plugged in. Whew

Sundance_kid

Put a hitch on our Sundance 3300SK 3 years ago and have had no problem double towing. I got a wired rearview camera off ebay and it works great. I picked up the tail/turn/brake lights on the entry door side as that is where they split and go to the rear, then just ran the wire to the rear to the 7 pin plug. Tapped into the end of the brake wire on the second axle and it works great also. Have fun and just do periodic walk arounds to check things.

bigdob24

Thanks for the input
Warrantee is not much of a concern , its only a year and has anyone heard of a issue with a frame.
I think it will be within a couple months of expiration when I do the work.
I will look around behind the tail lights and see what I can find, and do some research on a backup camera.
I had to modify the spare tire carrier and my bike rack so they could both work on the bumper, I'm well within the weight limits on the bumper, and when I do the receiver hitch it will support the bumper in the center for overkill.
Thanks again
Dan

MC9

Somewhere in these here threads I did a write-up on my camera set-up. Basically I bought a cheap system, (Peak, I think), mounted it on the inside of the back window and added a 30 ft length of phone wire and mounted the xmttr in the front closet and plugged it in the closet light, Then wireless to the cab. The cheap systems don't xmt very far. This solved that problem.