UNISTEEL® G614 RST- Anyone know them?

tdharley

All this talk of tire blow outs got me. I did have a blowout with my last toyhauler on Mission tires, what a mess.

As I was researching tire options I came across these Goodyear tires which seem to be made specifecally for fifth wheels & trailers.

Anyone know them. If not I think I will go Chopper Bills way with the Michelins.

Heres the link to a very informative RV tire guide which specs the Unisteel tire

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rvbrochure.pdf

Also something has been puzzling me. I have read in many different forums that 110lbs. is the way to go. Yet see the tire inflation guide from Goodyear, below. It seems they do not recommend we go that high. As a matter of fact they call for a max. pressure of 65lb.??????????

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

jbeletti

tdh,

I have these tires. Here's one of my posts about them. I have only used them on a few trips but so far so good I guess. Others here have changed theirs out to these too.

I did have a flat with one of them but the cause is unexplained. It re-aired up fine.

Seen some posts on rv.net of people having some trouble with them but I am suspecting they may have been overloaded at those tire positions (just a guess only on my part).

I am sure mine call for 110 PSI max cold pressure.

Jim

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have heard of problems finding replacements on the road for the G614Rst or just for replacing originals. The factory where there made has been on strike and a backlog of orders and the newness have caused a shortage. I would think the verdict is still in limbo on how good they actually are since realitively new. They sure sound good on paper though.
I have not crawled under the trailer yet to see if I could find pressure ratings on my wheels to see if they would even take the air pressures of a G-rated tire. Does anyone know about the wheel ratings?
What size Michelin RIBS is everyone putting, there seems to be no exact replacement?--- Ken

Uncle Rog

TDH, if you look at the chart the G rated tires are what you want and the second chart shows 110#.....

tdharley

Well the price seems ok. My local STS tire shop called me back and quoted $1,104.00, out the door.

This stuff is so confusing, my Mission tires are rated max. load 3520 @ 80lbs, just looked at the the tire. According to the Goodyear their chart only goes to 3000lb load @ 65 lbs.?????????

Should I assume that I can go to 80lbs. with the Goodyear even if they do not show it on their specs???? If thats true what about the Missions I have now, they call for a 80lb. and everybody is running 110lbs. No wonder why we are getting blowouts. Could you imagine what the tire pressure is when they are hot if we start overinflated at 110lb.

Rog- I think the second chart is for a LT tire, Light truck, not the ST tire I am looking at.

tdharley

Thats the trouble here one manufactuers tells you one thing & another tells you another. If you wanna see something real funny, put LT vs. ST tires into Google, everybody has a different story.

This tire IS a LT tire which if you listen to some people are not the right tires for a trailer. Its an LT tire made for a trailer. More on that:
http://www.championtrailers.com/tire_art.html

Anyway it does take up to 110lbs.,not a ST & load range G

Duhh

Heres the link

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html

ct0218

If you need a LR G tire, you really have two choices--the Trail America or Goodyear G614RST. Michelin does not make one, nor does anyone else here. The Michelin XPS Rib only goes up to LR E. The Goodyear certainly has to be better than the TA, so that leaves no option.

C

Chulinw

Katkens you will need to take a tire off and look on the inside of the rim to tell you what the max PSI that they are rated at. Like mine says 80PSI and I put on the 235/85R16 Michelins Ribs in January after a blow out and over 6K in damage done to the camper. The price I paid for 5 tires with new metal stims cost me $1272.00 with all the taxes. I know that I am good to go down the road now and be safe.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Chulinw said:
Katkens you will need to take a tire off and look on the inside of the rim to tell you what the max PSI that they are rated at. Like mine says 80PSI and I put on the 235/85R16 Michelins Ribs in January after a blow out and over 6K in damage done to the camper. The price I paid for 5 tires with new metal stims cost me $1272.00 with all the taxes. I know that I am good to go down the road now and be safe.

Thanks much for the info, this is the way I'll probably go. Ken

ChopperBill

"Automotive bias or radial tires with their more flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems, whereas the stiffer sidewalls of the ST (special trailer) bias ply tires help to control and reduce sway problems. For this reason it is not recommended that (P) Passenger or (LT) Light Truck tires be used on trailers. Best trailer control will be achieved with (ST) Special Trailer tires."

This is taken from tdharleys link and I am hollering BS! The side walls on the Michelin 10 ply LT tires are ten times, if not more, stiffer than the Loadstar 10 ply ST tires that I took off. The 10 ply ST Loadstar side walls are like tissue paper. Now maybe if you compare Chinese LT tires to Chinese ST tires it may be a different story. I for one ain't cutting any corners on tires anymore.

tdharley

I dont understand it, Bill. Too much information.

I doubt a company like Goodyear will come out with a tire that they consider a fifth wheel/travel trailer tire with softer sidewalls. But then again look at the Firestone/Ford problem.

I think I am going to go with the Goodyear, LT's.

I did a search on the best way to jack up the rig and could not find anything. I have a 10 ton floor jack, so that should handle it but placement is the problem.

Were to jack , that is the question? Also jack it on the front landing gear or hitched to the truck, not to cause any flex?

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
tdharley said:
I dont understand it, Bill. Too much information.

I doubt a company like Goodyear will come out with a tire that they consider a fifth wheel/travel trailer tire with softer sidewalls. But then again look at the Firestone/Ford problem.

I think I am going to go with the Goodyear, LT's.

I did a search on the best way to jack up the rig and could not find anything. I have a 10 ton floor jack, so that should handle it but placement is the problem.

Were to jack , that is the question? Also jack it on the front landing gear or hitched to the truck, not to cause any flex?
td I have the Goodyears on my Landmark from the factory, Don't remember the style. I have never had a problem. Run 110lbs. I will try to remember and check the style today. I think I remember some posts in the past concerning where to jack. I do remember that you do not use the axle to jack with.

Uncle Rog

JP, I thought the axels were from lippert?, I will have to check it out. After i removed the old carcass from my rig I limped it in to camp on three tires. I will upgrade my tire changing gear to include a ramp to pull the good wheel up on to facilitate easier changing and less jacking. I used wood blocks, they worked but were not the best. My shovel was also handy to dig out under the spare to finally get it on. Just another thought, when the tire came apart a large part of the tread wedged in between the wheel hub and the back flange, the only way I could get it loose was to pull the wheel out of the way and back over and then drive over the remnants until it pulled free......UR

Gary Steeves

I have 4 of the G614RST on order and should install next week. The 65 psi rating appears to be for the ST tires and smaller sizes then the LT235/8516 G . The Goodyear dealer has recommended I go with 100psi cold. -- You hear everything, but Goodyears load/inflation tables show a weight of 3170 at 85 psi on up to 3750lbs at 110psi - It seems to me that the pressure certainly depends on the weight.

Gary Steeves

Uncle Rog

Gary, go with the higher pressure, I would rather wear a tire out than blow one up by running less and heating them up. On a cheery note I just called Tredit Tire and found out that a new aluminum wheel is around $72 a lot less than I pre-supposed......

Cooper

The GoodYear G614 is a great tire made for rvs. I have them on my 5er after a blowout with the Trail America's tires.

ct0218

Rog
The axles are Dexter, installed by Lippert on the Lippert frame. That was part of my axle problem--Dexter had a recommended template for the mounting of the axles to the frame, and Lippert used their own guesstimate for placing them. Dexter was correct.