Brake controller wiring problem

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We took off on our second trip with our 2010 Dodge 3500 DRW. While driving down the road, the built-in brake controller gave me an error message to check the trailer wiring. I pulled over as soon as I could and everything seemed to be okay. The cord was firmly plugged in, the lights were on and working properly and the brakes on the trailer were working. Since I couldn't find anything out of order, we continued on our trip. The error message continued until we arrived at our destination but it was intermittent. It would stop for about 30 minutes and then start again. Some times it would go off over and over.

The only thing I can think of is that the trailer was plugged into an aftermarket bed plug that was installed by the hitch installer. I plan to plug into the factory plug which is on the bumper and see if I still get the message.

Anyone have any ideas of what to look for?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Jay I do have an idea. When we left Kerrville in February and got to Aransas Pass I had a fault show up on my controller. I didn't know what the fault meant so I called Teconsha and was told that fault meant a short to ground. I took the trailer over to Camper Clinic and they found a bad magnet. Fixed it and I was good to go. Till about 500 miles later. Got the fault again and made it home. Took it to my dealer and they found another bad magnet. All is good again.
So you may have a bad magnet or a wire shorting out somewhere. Most likely a magnet.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

Try removing the in bed plug from the system. If they used an after market bed harness, it is most likely plugged in behind the bumper plug. Remove it and plug your trailer into the bumper plug. Most trailer leads are long enough to reach over the tail gate, it is on mine. I have the bed harness for another reason, ( fancy led tail light assembly ), didn't want to cut the harness. Anyways, I had the error message, I disconnected the harness, error went away. I removed the harness and ohm-ed it out, it was shorted out inside the harness. After driving in heavy rain for a couple of days, this is when it showed up. I got a new one under warranty, no more problem.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When we left Terrell today I plugged the trailer into the factory box near the bumper. Everything worked just fine with no more error messages, so the problem is with the new plug.