Husky 5th Wheel Hitch

SocalDD

Just purchased a 12' Cyclone 3010! I was able to get the Dealer to include a "Husky" 5th wheel hitch. I am reluctant because I have never heard of a "Husky" and was set on purchasing a Reese 16T from my local "very reputable" welding/hitch shop. I would appreciate any thoughts on the "Husky vs. Reese" hitch. Thanks!

hoefler

Husky has been around a while, it is as good as any other. Just make sure it is rated for the weight or more of your rig.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
I have had my Husky/Valley slider hitch for 6 years now (3 using a earlier 5th wheel). I upgraded it to the Husky Air Box Slider for 3 of those years and haven't had any issues (knock on wood).

sdrubrecht

We have a Husky also, it works great. No problems at all with it.
Congrats on your new Cyclone, we love ours.

SocalDD

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses! One additional question thougth... The dealer has two types: a standard Husky hitch and one that he refers to as Toy Hauler specific Husky Hitch in that the 5th wheel can easily be hooked up on "uneven" ground. I would have to kick in a couple hundred bucks for the upgraded hitch. I am trying to find out the specifics of the hitch that he is refereing to. Thoughts??? Thanks again!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have had a Husky for 4 years now. Works as good as any. You will not need a slider with a HL trailer. Ours is just a standard hitch and it pivots 4 ways. Make sure that you get one that is rated at least 2K over the gross weight of your 3010.

sdrubrecht

I agree with Brian. Our hitch has the 4 way pivot, pretty important when you leave the pavement. As to a slider, we have one but havent used it. Should have one time on a tight turn offroad, small dent to truck, no damage to trailer. Havent needed the slider ever on the pavement.

BC1of38

I have had my Husky/Valley slider hitch for 6 years now (3 using a earlier 5th wheel). I upgraded it to the Husky Air Box Slider for 3 of those years and haven't had any issues (knock on wood).

Tell me more about the air box system upgrade please.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
I found a link at:
www.huskytow.com/FTP/PDF/P01020_HTCH_Pg4-11.pdf
Mine happens to be the 16k Airbox EZ Roller with UBS (which is the clean box mount, the rails under the box). I agree with earlier posts about the Slider (roller), it's nice to have if you need it.... but I haven't used it in 6 years. The airbox has 2 Firestone Airbags inside, I pump those up to what I feel it's floating without bottoming out or not too rigid. The max air pressure on those is 100 lbs, I usually run a little over 1/2 that depending on how I have the BH loaded.
I like the hitch.... has worked for me! Let me know if I can help with any more info.
Tom

boatdoc

We have had a Husky for 4 years now. Works as good as any. You will not need a slider with a HL trailer. Ours is just a standard hitch and it pivots 4 ways. Make sure that you get one that is rated at least 2K over the gross weight of your 3010.

Bob, I thought this for many years untill I spoke with the owner of RBW one Saturday, imagine that, the owner on a Saturday, about a new RBW that would fit my existing rails. I needed to go from a 15K to a 16K or larger and was hopeing I didn't need to change the rails. He told me "ALL" the hitch manufactures build in 40% overload protection just to cover their butt if the end user happens to overload the trailer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gary, that's good to know, but already figured they did. There is alot of "stupid" in this world and everyone has to CTB/CYB.