AC while traveling

Rodbuster

We are picking our Key Largo in about 10 days. Got lots of questions.

My wife just ask me this question this morning.
Can I run the AC on propane while traveling?

Thank you,
Rodbuster

Riverman

Congrats on the new unit!
The AC does not operate on propane...AC power only
I suppose, provided you have a built in generator, you could leave that running while travelling to power the AC.
I've never tried it, but should work??

Rodbuster

Thank you Riverman, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure.

So what does a person do when they have been traveling for 6 or 7 hours to reach their campsite and wanting to relax in a nice cool RV? Please understand that this is my first RV and I have alot to learn, but it would seem to me that it would take a long time to cool down the RV to a point where you are comfortable. If thats what it is, well then, thats what it is. We will build a bridge, get over it and have fun. It's just easier to have fun when you're comfortable.

Rodbuster

Riverman

Fortunately...or sometimes unfortunately, we never get that extreme sort of heat like you must in Sunny Florida!
They cool off inside quite quickly here so Ive never considered pre-cooling it.
We would be more likely to pre-heat! That could be an issue while towing though

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thank you Riverman, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure.

So what does a person do when they have been traveling for 6 or 7 hours to reach their campsite and wanting to relax in a nice cool RV? Please understand that this is my first RV and I have a lot to learn, but it would seem to me that it would take a long time to cool down the RV to a point where you are comfortable. If thats what it is, well then, thats what it is. We will build a bridge, get over it and have fun. It's just easier to have fun when you're comfortable.

Rodbuster
Rodbuster, our routine is to get the rig level and plug it in to the campground pedestal. Lin will then go in and turn on the AC and come back out and help me get set up. Usually by the time were done, the rig has cooled enough to be comfortable but an icy cold beverage of your choice always helps.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you do have a gen-set that runs on propane and you run it 6-7 hrs while traveling. You will burn alot of propane.

2010augusta

When we where in TX 2 summers ago (daytime temps where 105*+). I would put over about 2 hours before our stop for the day and start the generator and turn on both A/C units. it really help make it comfortable inside while setting up.

sgtbigb

I hope u have a second A/C unit, especially in FL
We are picking our Key Largo in about 10 days. Got lots of questions.

My wife just ask me this question this morning.
Can I run the AC on propane while traveling?

Thank you,
Rodbuster

Last edited by a moderator:

Wharton

In hot weather we run our bathroom exhaust fan while driving down the road. That at least keeps the trailer temp more or less equivalent to the outside temp. Easier to cool down from that temp vs. the oven that the trailer becomes when not running the fan.

Rodbuster

A couple of real good ideas here.
1) Start your AC a couple of hours before you reach your destination using generator, or, if no generator, using the bathroom exhaust fan.

I think I'm really going to like this forum.
Thank you very much.

Rodbuster

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've not experienced the trailer getting that uncomfortable, even in the hottest of weather when traveling, in going on 5 years of fulltiming. These units are insulated quite well, and will keep alot of the heat out while going down the road..as others have said, plug in first after setting the trailer down, and by the time you're done with the other set-up the rig is already quite comfortable.

mountain1

I run one AC on the generator for the dogs in my toy hauler. By accident this weekend I ran with the roof AC on while traveling as well as the little one in the back and it was fine.
Normally we turn on the AC the minute we stop and start a fan. Dosen't take long to cool off.

porthole

Retired
I will use the genny an hour before if necessary. But if you don't have a genset the next best thing would be to put the vent covers on so you can run with the vents open.

I have covers on 2 of the 3 roof vents and will eventually have one on the last vent.

Rodbuster

I'm pretty sure that we are going to be installing a generator, so I'll take the suggestions to start it up and run the AC about an hour before we stop for the day.

Thank you for all the replies
Rodbuster

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Don't waste you money on a generator just to run the AC's. If you want or would use one then fine. We have never had that bad of heat even in 100 plus here in Texas. What we do is first check the power pedestal to be sure the power is okay, then plug in. Then unhook. Then open the slides, Then turn on the acs (we have two. If it is excessively hot turn on the Fantastic Fan (we have one in the kitchen area) to help vent the hot air. Usually that is not necessary. Within 10 minutes it is okay. It really doesn't take that long to cool 300-400 square feet. The trick is keeping it cool. In 100 degree weather you need two ACs. Good luck. We do have a oscillating table fan in the bedroom to help circulate the air.