A good idea??

Peteandsharon

Hey guys,

So Camping World is selling this product called a 50 amp RV Box Adapter (item #25774). It's purpose is to allow someone to combine two 30 amp circuits in a given box in order to get 50 amp service. Hmmmmm. I'm curious if anyone owns this product and whether you would ever get an opportunity to use it. It says not to use it with GFI receptacles which I would assume most receptacles ARE. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product and whether some of you who are more electrically savvy even think it is a good idea. Thanks, Pete.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't know about that gizmo, Pete, but when we camped at the state park, a single pedestal served two to four campsites. Taking an additional outlet might get testy when the neighbors show up.

branson4020

Icantre Member
First, lets do the math. 50A service is 2 120V leg at 50A each = 12000W. This adapter creates 2 120V legs at 30A each = 7200 W. So, its about half of a 50A service. To get even that, You would need to feed each leg from a separate circuit, not just a separate outlet. I don't think I've ever been in a site that had multiple 30A circuits. I think it's a gimmick.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess there is a gimmick for sale in everything we want to participate in.
Years ago I bought a golf club guaranteed to make the ball go straight. Turns out I actually had to learn how to swing a club correctly to hit a ball straight.
If a person needs 50 amps, then get a 50 amp site.
Like branson4020 mentioned, do you have two circuits or just two receptacles. Too many unknowns.

Peace
Dave

Northern Virginia
We stayed several times at a park that had four thirty amp receptacles at every pedestal. Who knows why. They were all on separate circuits. I bought a cheater box and it worked great. I doubt I will ever find another park to use it in but since we go to this park a lot, it was worth the hundred bucks to be able to run both ac units in August.
http://elecordset.com/moreinfo.aspx...heater-box--compare-prices--sc1196604727&ai=M

John

Attachments

• ximg.axd.jpg
    ximg.axd.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Cheater_Box-L.jpg
    Cheater_Box-L.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 19-0449.jpg
    19-0449.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 19

Peteandsharon

Hmmmm. Sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth and a waste of money. First there is the issue of the GFI since neither Camping World's product nor the cheater box work with GFI. Outside of that, I'm not sure how I would even know that the receptacles were on separate circuits. Not sure the state park rangers would take too kindly to the box being used either.

usnthedog

Your 50 amp trailer is split into two services. A 50 amp supplies each with 50 amps. Granted they may be off phase to create 220V but IF you do not need 220V why would this not give you two services, 30 amps each? You could run 4 appliances instead of 2 IF you watch the circuits. As to overloading the post, if Joe shows up with his camper and uses 30A it doesn't overload the service. Yes, you would have to unplug and revert back to the regular hook up. From other forums I get the idea that the RV owner doesn't like it because you can use twice the electricity.