ATF: Edge - Uneven tread wear; bent axles?

I have 16000 miles on my EDGE M21 trailer. Just noticed that there is more tread wear on the outside edge of all 4 tires than on the inside edge. A possible cause of this condition is bent axles. I put a straight edge on the bottom of both axles and found that both are about 1/2" higher in the middle. Questions: 1. Are the axles designed to be higher in the middle? 2. If the axles are okay, what might be causing the uneven tire wear and what's the fix? 3. If the axles are the problem, will the factory replace them? The trailer has not been in any accidents, has niether been overloaded or abused.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mike, yes the axles have a "bow" in the middle. They are designed that way. If you are close to a big rig repair shop that does axle alignments you could have them check it for you. Best I can tell you.

GOTTOYS

My guess is your alignment is off. Just bring it to a truck/trailer shop that does alignments. If it is out of alignment they can fix you right up. Not that expensive. It's possible the axle manufacturer MAY replace them if they are bent but they also may not. The cost of removing them and shipping them back for an inspection will be more than an alignment. If they say NO you're back where you started from with a ton of additional expense. I would just get it aligned and be done with it. Only takes a few hours...Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
skinnymike, as Bob&Patty said earlier, the axle bow is normal. Like GOTTOYS said, alignment is probably the problem but the fact that both sides of the trailer are wearing on the outer edges is weird. Another thing to check is air pressure.

ultrafarmer

If you have Goodyear tires, they look like they are wearing on the outside but the tread is smooth from the factory. Take a close look.

lwmcguir

I have 16000 miles on my EDGE M21 trailer. Just noticed that there is more tread wear on the outside edge of all 4 tires than on the inside edge. A possible cause of this condition is bent axles. I put a straight edge on the bottom of both axles and found that both are about 1/2" higher in the middle. Questions: 1. Are the axles designed to be higher in the middle? 2. If the axles are okay, what might be causing the uneven tire wear and what's the fix? 3. If the axles are the problem, will the factory replace them? The trailer has not been in any accidents, has niether been overloaded or abused.

Better to use your strait edge and see if your wheels are in line with each other. And if the spacing between the wheels is the same. If you are on level concrete check to see what the angle to the pavement is. Should be the same for both wheels. If all that checks OK then you are off to the alignment shop and will be anyway if it don't.

Thanks for all the input! The tires are Power King Towmax radials. I've been good about maintaining correct inflation. They're due for rotation, will have the experts scope things out. Neither my eyes nor my measuring devices are top of the line. By the way, what is the recommended rotation sequence on a 2-axle trailer? The last time they were rotated, the guy just swapped the front with the rear on the same side. That surprised me: I was expecting an X-rotation or some such.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Unless they directional tires, swap them from side to side. What good does it do move them front back. Many years ago that was the standard procedure because of "belt slip" inside the tires. I think that has been loooong repaired in tire manufacturing. We are not in the 1960's or 70's anymore.

ultrafarmer

Today I pulled the plug and ordered 6 Maxxis tires. I have had enough of the trouble's people are having with Mission tires. I am going to Alaska and just don't trust mine. They are hard to find, but got it done with a local tire man.

camr

One thing that I have noted from this thread is the fact that the "China Bomb" Towmax tires have lasted 16000 miles. I have only put one season on our Towmax tires, but based on so many tire related posts on the forum, I was planning on changing the tires out at the end of the second season. Could it possibly be that the tires are not quite as bad as I had gathered. I understand that the age of tires affects their life cycle, but I would have never have imagined that anyone one could have got 16000 miles out of Chinese tires. Thanks for opening my eyes, Mike.

lwmcguir

There have been many of the Chinese tires throw tread and damage Coaches. Many more have blown out. If you are loaded heavy on any one tire you are probably going to have a failure.

MC9

I have at least 12,000 miles on my Towmax 235 80 16. three are like new 1 is worn on the outside almost to the belts but only on half the circumference the other half still has a tiny bit of tread showing. I will take it to my local tire guy and see if I can a diagnostic.