So sad, our beautiful fav campground, now destroyed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sad indeed. Hopefully, in time, things will get up & running again but for now, many lives are affected. Our thoughts & prayers go out to those affected by these storms.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow. Everytime I see any of the storm damage up there, I am just thankfull that our lives and those we know are safe and sound. I am also sad that so many lives were taken. I just don't understand how so much damage can happen in an area and right next door it's like nothing happened. All I can do is say wow. And just remember that night was our first night as fulltimers. I will always check for a storm shelter at any place we stay. And will develop a plan for storms. Thank god for the storm updates on TV these days.

jpdoggett

Boy what a great loss, looked like a great park and they are hard to find. I hope they rebuild but it will take a life time for the trees. May GOD help all that was hurt

bluebirdsnfur

Wow...that is just awful! I feel so bad for the folks in Alabama. I pray they can re-build and get back on their feet. We donated a bunch of clothes and shoes when 'PaknMail' had a clothing drive for them. They had a ton of donated stuff to be shipped down there.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Tom Sawyer's RV Park is closed due to high water from the Mississippi river according to the website.

traveler44

Did you post once before about a tornado that hit a campground at Guntersville that showed some rvs in the lake? Have you noticed how some areas seem to be more prone to tornados than others. One evening years ago we stopped under a service station canopy because it was raining and blowing so hard. After getting back on the road we had to drive around trees on the highway and it looked like a giant buzz saw came down the hill and cut trees down. You could see by the heigth of what was standing how low the tornado came. I don't think there is anything that can withstand that kind of wind unless it is an underground shelter. I would feel alot safer if they would dig out shelters near campgrounds. Tom M.

GETnBYE

Yes I did, in 2009 we had a series of tornadoes that went almost on the same exact route. We call it tornado alley. I agree about the storm shelters, they send you to the bath houses and as you can see at guntersville the bath houses were all destroyed except for one and it was the one out by the office and smaller, I have not heard if there were any injuries, I hope not. But it looks bad, they would not let us in, the video was by an employee.

**I know it is a park and many lost there homes and lives, I want to make sure everyone knows that this post is stating how awful the storms were, by no means is it intended to lessen the horrible loss of lives and homes experienced in the affected areas.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Tom, thats the unpredictable thing about a tornado, it hits one side of the street and not the other. You're exactly right about having an underground shelter, but its economically unrealistic to have that happen. When we've experienced bad weather we go to the office, rally hall or even the restrooms if the building is substantial enough to offer some shelter.

GETnBYE

You are correct about the shelter, can you imagine the size it would have to be. I do think possibly a warning system would be an idea. Iknow that when we camp there we don't have cable and very few channels come in on the antenna. I imagine most were without power before the storm hit, and I don't know if there is a siren there. I know the one from town probably could not be heard.
I am sure they will do all that they can to make it better and safer as they rebuild.