What TV (year, make, model) would you buy for around $20,000?

Brandon.Prewitt

The 5th is coming today but my '07 Chevrolet 4x4 Z-71 half ton with remote start and back up sensors ain't gonna work.

P.S. above mentioned truck is for sale.

jnbhobe

You need at least an F-250, or 2500 with a 10K GVW. But for the $$$ difference a 350 or 3500 is a better choice. A diesel is a must in my book along with an automatic transmission. I also would not be without 4X4.

lwmcguir

A F250/F350 is the best buy for the money. Just check the service record regarding the coolers. Agree that a 350 is worth the extra money. Auto, Diesel, 4X4, CC, are all nice and should be included if possible.

Moose

I agree with the above two posts.

Go with 1 ton (350/2500) diesel with exhaust brake, automatic, crew/quad cab and 4x4.

Make, model and accessories are up to you.

Bighurt

I'm a Ford guy...

You can get a 2001 F350 DRW with the 7.3L for $10k-$15k depending on conditions and miles.

I know one right now with 186k and a new Tranny, they want less than $10K.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I LOVE my 01 Dodge. I've pulled lot's of loads up and down and all around and in 10 years it hasn't given me a lick of trouble. The Cummins 5.9 is known to be very reliable but service does make all the difference. The 5spd manual (NV4500) has been known to drop 5th gear though. I'm told by people that know these things that The 6spd manual (NV5600) yr 2000-2005 is a very strong transmission. I've been driving manuals since my feet reached the pedals so I have no experience with the autos (got one now so we'll see) This link has a lot of information on the older set ups. http://quad4x4.com/NV5600.htm. Good Luck with your search and BTW congratulations on your new coach.

caissiel

You need an above years 2005, F250 or F350 to pull your trailer for $20K.
There are twice as much F250's out there that might do the job but be ready to check the Coolant/Oil temperatures and check the Fuel Injector Module voltage because they are almost 100% problem you will have with these Fords.
I use a scangaugeII to check mine and I would surely get one at Autozone No. SG2. Its the best 6.0L investment before buying one. You can program it to check your engine by programing it plug into any ODBII of any model vehicles.

I have a list of over 60 XGauges for the 6.0L.

These trucks are definitly going to go down in value due to a lot of these trucks have a bad reputation, and are actualy a gold mine as used units that can be fixed by the DIY man that will be interested in doing so. To me its the best deal for your money if you want to have a great towing truck easy to fix.

DMitch

I pull with a 3500 and think it is well worth the inconvience of the wide fenders when not pulling. I agree, diesel/automatic. Brand is your personal preference. Everyone on this forum will tell you thier truck is the best. In fact the big three are all making good diesel pickups and they each have thier own quirks. So again, find something that you like within your budget and you'll be happy.

Brandon.Prewitt

Thanks everyone.

Diesel, Automatic, crew cab, are on the list. Is LWB absolutely necessary? I am thinking DRW would make a more stable ride. I have thought about the mentioned concerns of driving a DRW when not towing and hope it's worth it. I was planning to drop the 4x4 option but can see where it would be useful with such a load. I was told if I go dodge DO NOT go automatic, anyone agree with that? I was also told if I go Ford only go with the 7.3.

I'm a Chevy guy myself but was thinking about going with the ole 7.3 Power Stroke. I guess if I was choosing, a new body style chevy would be what I want. '07 or so LTZ. I just don't think it's in the budget. Budget will be a little less of a concern when I get the house sold. Maybe I should just wait and buy what I want not what I can afford right now.

What do y'all think of matching your truck color and graphics with the RV? I got the full body paint.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We just ordered a '12 Big Country 3650 and will be pulling it with our current truck - '09 Dodge diesel 3500 srw. I'm kind of partial to Dodges but would encourage you to think about getting at least a 1 ton truck.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Can't help with the wheel base as mine are 8ft beds. My neighbor tows with a short bed and has no problems. A buddy of mine just flew to Salt Lake City UT (about 460 miles) to drive back a 2000 F-350 SRW 4x4 7.3 diesel that he paid right around $18,000.00 with 82,000 miles. He is the type to research everything and decided he didn't want to spend the money on a new one so went with the 7.3 instead of the 6.0 or the 6.4. He found his on auto trader and said there were a lot more DRW than SRW. Hope this helps, Good luck.

lwmcguir

Have to agree with the one ton truck. The extra springs will be very helpful and may allow you to tow without having to add air bags. Almost all of the HL units are a bit more pin heavy than the brochure would lead you to believe. This gets even heavier as almost all of the weight you will add will be center to front of the axles resulting in an even heavier pin. 10 ply tires are a minimum no matter which TV you choose.