Electrical Question 110v on a Bighorn 3585

Last night watching TV the TV went black. The refrigerator shifted to propane, and the outlets in the kitchen (under cabinets) stopped working. Reset all the breakers twice, no change (not marked what it is, so still learning). Other outlets all working. GFI not tripped and all the outlets on its circuit working. Looked at the outlets for the refrigerator, but it is not a GFI outlet. Dealer not helpful--just wants me to bring it in. Any ideas? I'm thinking a circuit tripped, but the breaker isn't the problem (at least I don't think so since I've cycled it twice) --is there some hidden GFI type protection device that would have these on the circuit? Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Billvenohr, and welcome to the forum. I do have a few suggestions for you.
First, when you reset the breakers did you turn them all the way off and then back on?
Before proceeding to the next couple of ideas be certain to unplug from the 120 pedestal.
Next, take a look under the slide and you will see two electrical boxes. Take the covers off and be sure all the connections in there are tight.
The final thing would be to remove the breaker panel all together and look for any loose wires on the neutral buss and at the breakers.
Good luck and come back to let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My first suggestion would be to check the GFCI outlet which is probably in the bathroom. Ours is on the side of the bathroom sink cabinet. Then I would check the 120 volts at the pedestal. You could have a pedestal electrical problem. The next thing you could have is a problem with the 50 amp and only have power on one leg. Check all of the breakers in the AC box by turning them off and then resetting them. Then before checking to be sure all of the wires are connected and tight in the breaker box unplug it from the power supply so you don't get electrocuted. Good luck

DougS

Doug S
You might want to check your 120 pedestal source first. If you are plugged into 50 amp, you may have lost 1/2 of your power. Easy thing to try, if there is a 30 amp plug in the pedestal, use an adapter from 30 to 50 amp. If you have a meter, there should be a 240 reading in the two slots at the 3 o'clock position and the 9 o'clock positions.
If source is fine, then you know the problem is RV related. Good luck.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I agree with DougS. It sounds like you lost half of your power from the pedestal.

A big question..... Do you have a surge supressor. If not get one. If you have a problem at the power pedestal the surge supressor should keep your trailer safe from electrical proglems.

A surge supressor will protect all your electronic equipment. You can find some at http://tweetys.com/

Here is a link to Progressive and one to Surge Guard.

Hope this helps
BC