dually air pressure pulling a 5th wheel

dprince99

Currently going by door sticker wether pulling trailer or not (E rated, Front=66psi Rear=60psi). Just wondering if this is the correct thing to do?
My equipment is in signature below.
Thanks

Bighurt

Yes you should always run the tires at the PSI recommended by the manufacture on the stock tires or equivalent replacement tires.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Yes you should always run the tires at the PSI recommended by the manufacture on the stock tires or equivalent replacement tires.

This has been discussed a number of times and still has not been totally resolved. Keep in mind the auto/truck manufacturers post tire inflation for best ride not maximum load. On the other hand tire manufacturers use maximum load. Tire manufacturers have charts available based on tire inflation/load requirements. So I have been told by tire manufacturers to use the inflation on the tire sidewall unless you know your exact weight on each tire. Keep in mind you could weigh your rig and have a weight at or under the carrying capacity but one tire could be under and the opposite tire over depending on the load distribution front to rear and side to side. I always use the inflation that is on the sidewall to be on the safe side. It may ride slightly harder but I would rather have that than be under inflated. Remember under inflation = heat buildup.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What the door psi rating and the tire sidewall max psi could be off as much as 20 pounds. We always run the tire sidewall max pressure during the camping season. December, January and February we run what is posted on the truck door.

jbeletti

Good question. We began yesterday but have not yet finished installing the TST tire pressure monitoring system on the truck and RV. I needed to determine what I want to run the truck tires (6 of them x 19.5"). The placard on the door post and the max cold PSI on the tires are the same - 95. My truck was ordered as a chassis cab and often times, they are used for smaller dump trucks, stake beds, box trucks etc. Towing, I add about 4,000 pounds to the bed in pin weight. I have decided, until counseled to do otherwise, to run them at 85. My RV tires, I'll keep at max cold PSI of 110.

Jim

caissiel

My truck indicates 75 PSI on the door and I do inflat to 75 PSI.. When trailer on the truck it is exactly 80PSI.
I would think if loaded I would keep as high as the tire manufacture indicates for the load. Without a load 75 Psi drives real good for the SRW.

I was talking to a fellow that drives a F450 and he told me he puts in 35PSI, so the truck don't drive so rough. I told him I would not get out of the drive with that mush air in the tires on a dually. The problem is the braking, it happened to me with a Ranger with 35PSI max air in the tires, that the tires turned on the rim after an emergency stop. I was changing truck in no time.

This might help
http://hmcclub.homestead.com/Goodyear_Tire_Inflation___Load_Charts.pdf

hoefler

On my 05 Ram 3500 DRW, the door indicated a heavily loaded pressure and a light load pressure. It was 45 psi for light and 80 psi for heavy. I followed this and manage to have very even tire wear with rotating them every 7500 miles. My 08 and 2010 only have the heavy load rating. I run 45 in the rears with no load to light load, helps with ride quality and handles exceptionally in the snow, this is also my daily driver and I try to get every bit I can get out of my tires. When we are loaded with the Landmark, the tire pressure is what the manufacture has on the side wall, 85 psi.

SilverRhino

On my 01 Ram Dually I run 55 psi when truck is empty and not towing......When towing our BC I bump the duals up to 70 psi.

These pressures have worked well for me. I am quickly reminded to lower the pressure when we return from a trip......Empty ride is rough at 70psi ! Tires wear well using these pressures and I rotate them every 5k.

Enjoy the forum and:

Travel Safe!

RSIG

I attended a seminar presented by a tire manufacturer and they recommended that you set tire pressure as listed on the sidewall of the tire. The ride will be harsher but tire wear and mileage should improve under normal circunstances.