Sofa Bed

Birchwood

We want to swap the sofa bed in our Landmark with a real leather love seat.
The cloth material on our current loveseat has gone pickey and is uncomfortable
to sit on.The air bed is very uncomfortable,even the grand kids complain.
Just wondering if other members have changed their sofa beds and if they miss
it??

Garypowell

Just swapped out my 4.5 year old couch for a rooms to go love seat recliner. Love it.....don't miss the old one at all.

Mine is in a slide and the base is bigger than the slide so bolted a 3/4" piece of plywood to allow it to fit.

It it sits a little high but when you recline......can't tell the difference

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just swapped out my 4.5 year old couch for a rooms to go love seat recliner. Love it.....don't miss the old one at all.

Mine is in a slide and the base is bigger than the slide so bolted a 3/4" piece of plywood to allow it to fit.

It it sits a little high but when you recline......can't tell the difference

Gary, I'm not sure I understand how you used the plywood. Can you take a pic and show us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

I should have taken some pictures when I was working the project in June. We were just a few days away from leaving for 4 month trip so I was rushing a little.

I first tried simply placing the couch on the slide. Unfortunately it stuck out too far and anytime I sat on it the couch tipped forward.

I then ordered some feet to put on the frame of the couch. I could not seem to get them adjusted properly such that they would either dig into the carpet when moving the slide.....or there was still some tipping.

So I resorted to what I call a "diving board" approach. I used this several years ago when I installed a dishwasher and it is still holding well.

You can see in the picture the 3/4" plywood diving board with couch rolled forward. (Painted it black to make it less noticeable) there are a row of 5 3/8" by about ~3" bolts towards the outside wall. I simply drilled the holes (with Linda's help) and put washers and captive nuts such that all the excess was on the inside. Moved the slide a few times and the heads on the outside slid right past the sealing rubber.

I call it a "diving board" because of the way it hangs over the edge of the slide which is evident in the picture.

You might be able to see I removed the carpet so that there would be a good wood to wood surface once my diving board was put in place. Since all of this is hid under the coach the way it looked did not matter.

I used the feet (I had bought originally) to put on the underside of the diving board (just one pictured UNFORTUNATELY UPSIDE DOWN) so if the board did want to bend it would have a stop. The bolt side of these feet serves to keep the coach from moving forward. Don't think it ever will.....but......

As you can see the couch (found it at Rooms to Go) is a little taller than the original since it covers some of the window. It is really comfortable and both sides recline which we like. I will have to admit with the slide being slightly elevated from the floor and the diving board on top of that you do feel like your sitting a little high. But once you put your feet up all vertigo disappears. And we almost always put our feet up.

We did lose the storage area behind it due to its size too. Couch was thrown out....came apart in pieces nicely. The nice air mattress is at home being repurposed.

Attachments

• Finished Look.jpg
    Finished Look.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Platform.jpg
    Platform.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Support feet.jpg
    Support feet.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I should have taken some pictures when I was working the project in June. We were just a few days away from leaving for 4 month trip so I was rushing a little.

I first tried simply placing the couch on the slide. Unfortunately it stuck out too far and anytime I sat on it the couch tipped forward.

I then ordered some feet to put on the frame of the couch. I could not seem to get them adjusted properly such that they would either dig into the carpet when moving the slide.....or there was still some tipping.

So I resorted to what I call a "diving board" approach. I used this several years ago when I installed a dishwasher and it is still holding well.

You can see in the picture the 3/4" plywood diving board with couch rolled forward. (Painted it black to make it less noticeable) there are a row of 5 3/8" by about ~3" bolts towards the outside wall. I simply drilled the holes (with Linda's help) and put washers and captive nuts such that all the excess was on the inside. Moved the slide a few times and the heads on the outside slid right past the sealing rubber.

I call it a "diving board" because of the way it hangs over the edge of the slide which is evident in the picture.

You might be able to see I removed the carpet so that there would be a good wood to wood surface once my diving board was put in place. Since all of this is hid under the coach the way it looked did not matter.

I used the feet (I had bought originally) to put on the underside of the diving board (just one pictured UNFORTUNATELY UPSIDE DOWN) so if the board did want to bend it would have a stop. The bolt side of these feet serves to keep the coach from moving forward. Don't think it ever will.....but......

As you can see the couch (found it at Rooms to Go) is a little taller than the original since it covers some of the window. It is really comfortable and both sides recline which we like. I will have to admit with the slide being slightly elevated from the floor and the diving board on top of that you do feel like your sitting a little high. But once you put your feet up all vertigo disappears. And we almost always put our feet up.

We did lose the storage area behind it due to its size too. Couch was thrown out....came apart in pieces nicely. The nice air mattress is at home being repurposed.

Wow, what a cool solution! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I Sold my old Rv furniture and purchased residential genuine leather furniture from Carolina factory outlet here in Florida and it's extremely comfortable and better quality.
5f6672abd8f7e16ac59795d513d1acb4.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

We replaced ours three years ago. We have an inflatable mattress 18" that we use for company. We store it under the MBR King size bed. No regrets. Loving it. I also reupholstered my chairs and Window toppers.

carl.swoyer

The company that makes my furniture I believe will make new to your specific needs.