Alaska Bound - HEAD's UP!

SueJean

Greetings from Alaska!

I'm not sure where the best place to post this info is, but this seemed like a good place to start. I'm working on our blog posts to detail our trip from southwest Georgia to Alaska, but our Verizon connection is slow here so it's going to take some time.

BIG HORN HEAD's UP! ----- When we arrived at the U.S. border station in Alaska on HWY 1 in our Big Horn, the "Car, RV lane" was posted at 13 feet. We've been told that we're 12' 11" so we questioned the clearance. The border official couldn't confirm his height and we're not 100% sure on ours.

SO, after checking our passports and the standard questions, he came outside and walked us backwards out of the lane and over to the Commercial Truck lane that doesn't have a roof over it. This worked fine as we were the only vehicle crossing during the time we there. Wouldn't want to be trying to do this at a busier time!

Also, for anyone else coming this way. Make sure to top off your fuel by Destruction Bay at the latest. We stopped at Burwash Landing at a little "Mom & Pop" type set-up where the guy spent 15-20 minutes trying to get the diesel pump to work and then we paid a $1.50 a litre which works out to well over $5 a U.S. gallon. :mad:

We didn't stop in Destruction Bay for gas so I'm not sure what the price was there, but they have a FAS GAS station there so we're thinking it would have been less.

Blessings,

SueJean & DannyLee

davidg

Keep lots of fuel at all times, you will have a more relaxing experience, lots to see and the weather is beautiful in the summer. If time allows do the top of the world and Dawson City, if you haven't already, this is quiet an experience a bit stressfull at times but enjoyable. You will have lots of cleaning up to do once you are out of their.